Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Best makers of evap coil, condensor coil, compressor, condensor for central AC?

Old 07-15-19, 07:23 AM

I recently asked here who made the most reliable central air condioning systems. My laypersons research shows many of the main parts of many of the central air condioning systems actually come from a limited number of suppliers. The greater issue I have been told is the competence of the actual installers.

Therefore im looking at the selection of a new AC system from a different perspective: finding the suppliers of the evap coils, condenser coils, condensers, and compressors that most AC manufacturers use, select a lower to mid price AC system that uses those manufactures and focus on selecting the best installers.

Evaporator coils and condensor coils. It seems aluminum tubing and fins are now the way to go. I have read the thinner copper tubing used in newer evap coils is more quickly failing due to corrosion with the aluminum fins. (recent lennox lawsuits) Who makes the better evap coils and condensor coils?

Compressor: I have read that a single stage scroll compressor is tried and true. Is this what i should look for? I dont need a higher seer than 13 or 14.

Condensor: Is there particular manufacturer I should be looking for.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-19, 07:34 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
Best equipment is the one that is installed correctly and one that the manufacture will support your contractor.

Old 07-16-19, 08:15 AM
Upvotes Received: 26
Multistage equipment has been out for a very long time. And is no less reliable then single stage.
Most all the internal parts in equipment come from the same manufacturer.
Everyone had evaporator problems a few years ago. It was not isolated to Lennox alone.
Your system should have an AHRI match number. Which means you canít cobble it together from various manufacturers. Your match number will show what your efficiency and capacities are, including SEER. If itís not matched you donít really know what exactly your getting.

Old 07-16-19, 09:22 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
Evaporator coils and condensor coils. It seems aluminum tubing and fins are now the way to go. I have read the thinner copper tubing used in newer evap coils is more quickly failing due to corrosion with the aluminum fins. (recent lennox lawsuits) Who makes the better evap coils and condensor coils?

Not an expert, but don't have to be one to know that aluminum fins on copper tubing has been used for years in condensing units. I am not familiar with thinner copper tubing with aluminum fins having issues, but like I said, I am not an expert. I do vaguely remember, however, that Carrier was trying to use all aluminum condensing coils and fins years ago and had many problems with them. Thinner copper or aluminum coils to me scream, "Cheaper to Manufacture."

As far as compressors, a scroll is the only way to go. My first choice is Copeland for various reasons, but I believe Bristol also is now making a pretty good one. I am not familiar with what other manufacturers are now making scrolls.

Old 07-16-19, 09:24 AM
Upvotes Received: 26
Old 07-16-19, 09:34 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
I didn't know that, but I don't really follow the industry news either. The article says they just shut down. I am a bit surprised another manufacturer didn't buy them out.

Hmmmm.....wondering about warranties on existing compressors. I suppose all warranties are now null and void.