Replaced Fan and Capacitor - still having AC problems!

Old 07-16-19, 09:51 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replaced Fan and Capacitor - still having AC problems!

Hello everyone,

I've been having a lot of problems with my AC unit. It started with my compressor fan squealing intermittently, and the capacitor going bad. I replaced the capacitor, but the inevitable happened and the squealing came back and eventually ruined the motor. I replaced the motor and capacitor again to eliminate any issues with that side of things. The AC came on strong and worked for about an hour, then I found that the fan motor stopped turning. The compressor still works, and I can hear the relay kick over when the AC tries to turn on, however the brand new fan motor just won't turn. Anyone have any ideas??? All parts were replaced with matching specs.

Old 07-16-19, 10:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,326 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The capacitor had nothing to do with the squeal. That's bad bearings.
The original cap got old and the motor bearings put a load on it. Same with the new cap.

As a guess...... you wired the replacement motor...... or capacitor..... incorrectly.
Pictures of the wiring would help...... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 07-16-19, 10:16 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'll get some pics up tomorrow when it's light out - however I'm pretty sure I wired everything the same as I removed it. The fan worked for about an hour - would that still happen if it was wired incorrectly?

Old 07-16-19, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,326 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
If the cap was wired wrong it could run for an hour and then burn up.
Each motor requires a properly sized cap. Did you use the rating that was on the new motor ?
Is the fan direction correct ? The air should blow upwards.

Possibly the replacement motor was not up to the task..... regardless of matching specs. Many times specs from some of the replacement companies are not accurate. One thing I do as a tech when replacing a fan motor is to check it's current draw. It should be just under the max rating. Not over.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: