Need help

Old 07-21-19, 07:21 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help

I live in Va.
Until 2 weeks ago my a/c was cooling pretty good, keeping my house at 70. We had a storm in the middle of the week & since that storm my a/c has not been cooling the house very well, most days it has been 75-80 degrees in the house. Prior to the storm there were days I would sit at my bar (with a register below me) & need to put on pants or blanket because it was too cold sitting there.

3 nights ago my son & I cleaned the evaporator coils as best as possible, still the house only got down to about 75.

2 nights ago I had a technician out to look at it. Pressure checked ok but found the condenser coils were dirty. Cleaned the coils then checked pressure again, said it was low in freon, so he added freon. Suction line is cold, his gauge showed it was 45 degrees. By morning the house only got down to 76 degrees.

Last night I came home & house was 85 degrees.

I have another company coming out, unfortunately not for 3 more days. I don't know alot about a/c units but is there anything someone can suggest I check to possibly get this working better?
Also is there anyone that thinks they know what the problem is so that I can ask the technician about when he gets here?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Old 07-21-19, 07:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
First I would make sure you have a clean furnace filter in place. Next give the ductwork an inspection looking for holes, gaps or any runs that have come unhooked or collapsed shut.

Other than that you have to consider the record setting heat wave currently hitting your region. The extreme heat has finally soaked through the insulation and everything of your house is thoroughly heat soaked making the AC work even harder than it had to at the beginning of the heat wave.

---
It has little to no relation but the AC in my shop cannot keep up in this weather. On the worst of these days the AC is running continuously by about 10:30. After that it's loosing ground even though it is functioning properly. It is simply not sized to handle heat like this. By two in the afternoon my shop is in the mid-80's. It feels much better than outside as it's nicely drying the air but it's a loosing battle against this heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: