Carrier 3ton AC Issue

Old 07-22-19, 06:44 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier 3ton AC Issue

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

My issue started last week (7/16) where my 3 ton carrier AC unit started acting unusually. It was a pretty hot day and I noticed that the house wasnt cooling. Walked outside , and the compressor was making a pretty loud buzzing noise ( which I know isnt good). A few minutes later the entire unit shut down. 10 minutes later it kicked on again, but only the fan was on and not the compressor. I shut the unit down, cooled down the compressor with towels, then the compressor kicked on and cooled the house down. Unit worked fine till yesterday.

Fast forward to yesterday (7/21). It was extremely hot here, close to 115 degrees ( I am on Long Island in NY). I set my thermostat high at 75. The AC was fine till around 1pm. At that time the thermostat wasn't fulffiled as it was still calling for AC, but the outside unit was off. I turned the power of the unit off then on. The unit would then would try to kick on, then shut off instantly. It did this a few times and I finally shut the power off to it as I didnt want to damage something. Around 8pm, when it was somewhat cooler and the sun was down I tried the unit again and it turned on and cooled the house down to 73 degrees. It was fine throughout the night and is fine this morning. ( It is 81 degrees with 70% humidity currently)

The unit was installed in 2013. Had my first issue in 2017. No compressor, only fan. Tech came out, and for whatever reason the compressor started working when he turned the unit on. He put more refridgerant in and a new capacitor.

I took a video of the incident ( hope the link works).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tpJj3EdvEA&feature=youtu.be

I attached a pic of the capacitor.

Any thoughts? Is the compressor not cooling efficently , therefore turning itself off ( the coils are clean)? I can't get a tech out to my house till next wed, was hoping you all could provide some troubleshooting help. Could this be something electrical?

Thank you.
Mike

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-19, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
It sounds like you are cycling on a low pressure switch due to lack of refrigerant.