Brand new home AC not engaging compressor

Old 07-27-19, 03:13 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brand new home AC not engaging compressor

This one's a conundrum and I could use all the help I can get.

My wall mounted AC unit's compressor stopped engaging, so I put in a call to my landlord for a fix and they decided to replace the unit. The new unit's compressor wouldn't engage either though. Hmmm...

A call to the AC store that installed it revealed that my next door neighbor has the same problem with his unit and it's die to spiking voltage on his 220 line. 220 line? Wait, I'm using the regular 110 line. So how am I getting the same symptoms? Call electrician.

This is where it gets weird. A quick check of my lines says everything is perfectly fine. My 220 line is low at 202v, but apparently that's within range for 3 phase according to both the electrician that came to my apartment and the one who came to my neighbor. But that shouldn't affect the 110 line, right? so why am I having the same symptoms still?

Coming in from the street, both my apartment and my neighbors come through the same box with meters, but the third apartment that is having the same problem uses a different panel. So what gives there?

Any advice or clarity would be welcome at this point, because this problem has two electricians and an AC appliance store stumped, and several tenants without AC during a heat wave. INCLUDING ME!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-19, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As you have unclear power there..... your location is vital to this discussion.
I determined your location is Connecticut.

If you have three phase in the building..... it should be 120/208v. That means 202v is ok.
Is this wall mounted air conditioner a unit in a sleeve or a split unit ?
Does it plug into a standard 120v receptacle ?
Has the 120v receptacle voltage been checked ?

Your neighbors unit may have a slight issue running on a 208v circuit especially down to 202v.. Most home A/C's are rated for 240v and allow a 10% power variance. 208v is more than 10% lower than 240v.