Window AC Problem

Old 07-27-19, 07:11 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window AC Problem

I recently purchased a used Westpoint Pelonis 12,000 btu model # MWF1-12CR window ac. It worked when I brought it home. I took it apart, including all electrical components, and gave it a good cleaning.

After putting it all back together, I'm pretty sure I ran it to make sure it still worked, then installed and sealed it in the window opening. I used compressed air on all electrical connections to make sure there was no water remaining on them before I put it together.

I went out a couple days later to use it, and now no ac. It's getting power to the circuit board as the digital display lights up as it should. But when I try to turn on the ac, the fan does not engage. I hear what I believe to be the compressor running, but there's no air movement. If I select just the fan mode, obviously I get nothing.

I took pictures of all the electrical connections and position of all parts to help ensure proper placement of everything when putting it back together. As I stated, I'm pretty sure I ran it before I installed it into the window to make sure it worked. But my memory is beginning to fail me. So there's a small chance I didn't.

Is this something I could be guided through troubleshooting ?? I have a test light, multimeter and such, but am not the smartest when it comes to diagnosing this type of problem.

If it would be to difficult to walk me through troubleshooting this, would it be worth having a professional come out to diagnose this ?? As in would it cost me close to the cost of a new unit ?? If I knew what the problem was, or bad part was, I'm sure I could replace it.

This is in my garage, and will only be needed on an occasional basis, which is why I didn't want to purchase a new one.

Advice and opinions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-19, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
Most smaller units are not cost effective to fix. If you had a friend look at it.... that would be ok. A service company may either not even want to look at it or charge a lot of money so you didn't want to fix it.

Is that an electronic controlled A/C ? In other words..... not a turn switch..... soft push buttons and digital display.
That unit is made by Midea out of China. Little to no service info available.

I'll help you check it out but it's going to require you to remove it from the wall, open it up and take some pictures of the control board. How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 07-27-19, 07:46 PM
S
Thanks PJmax. Yes it's an electronic controlled ac, digital display.

I've been looking at youtube vids and I've seen that the capacitor could be an issue, also I did not discharge the capacitor when I took the unit apart. I have no idea if that's the source of my problem ??

I'll get some pics of the control board tomorrow, and see if I can get them posted. If you think it's worth doing right now, do you want me to pull the capacitor so it can be tested ?? It's easy to get to. I'll wait for your response on that.

Thanks for your time sir !!

Old 07-28-19, 02:53 PM
S
Well as I was removing the front panel from the ac, I reached in and tried to turn the fan. It did not turn freely at all. After I worked it back and forth a bit it did loosen up, and I was able to successfully run the ac.

The fan is excessively noisy, is ready to seize up, and obviously is the source of my problem. I have no doubt that replacing the fan motor will fix my problems with this unit. Where is a good source to purchase replacement fan motors for a window ac ??

Old 07-28-19, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
Like I mentioned.... there is very little service info available and that goes the same for parts.
I don't see a replacement listed in the Midea parts list.