New 5000btu window shaker unit drainage questions

Old 07-28-19, 05:41 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
New 5000btu window shaker unit drainage questions

Hey guys I just purchased a 5000btu window shaker ac unit for one of the rooms in my house ( did the math and is correct for the room size ) The installation directions are vague but says "should have a slight pitch outwards" so using the top channel it comes with and the two bottom tabs, which are aligned with pre drilled holes, when it sits in my window frame, sure enough it DOES have a SLIGHT pitch to the outside of the house. And functionality wise it Does work and it Does Not leak into the house.

However, when I am outside looking in to the unit from the louvers it seems to be loading up with water. the fan even seems to be throwing spritezes of water out of the unit. It does seem to be draining very little through the one and only hole in the bottom of the unit. But seems like it needs to be holding a substantial pool of water before it even thinks about finding the ONE DRAIN HOLE in the bottom of the unit.. Like it has to build up a lake of water inside the unit before it is able to find the drainage hole.

Is this normal? Seems like they could have added some type of drainage dam built into the pan inside so it doesnt hold so much water before draining out but from what i can see looking in with a light the pan just seems to me like a crappy design.. Is this just what you get these days? Or is there something wrong? New to these things so I could use some advice. Dont wanna wake up tomorrow morning to find all that water its holding on the inside of my house!

Tried to take some pictures but it is dark out and I couldnt get it to show anything useful.

Old 07-28-19, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

With some units.... they allow the water level to rise and then
sling it at the condenser coil to help cool it.

Rob04064 voted this post useful.
Old 07-28-19, 05:51 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wow, fast response PJmax. It is an AMANA if that is any help. Thanks for the insight. So possibly this is normal? Never considered that. Just seemed to me like it would inevitably make the sheet metal rot sooner than later. It is Definitely Slinging it at the condenser, it is slinging it everywhere

Old 07-28-19, 06:58 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
As pete said, this is normal, and has been since at least the early 1960s. That's why the condenser fan has a rim all the way around. It's called a slinger, to sling the condensate at the condenser coil for additional evaporative cooling. It does increase the efficiency.
Andy

Old 08-19-19, 08:08 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Should water reach the Styrofoam squirrel cage enclosure? Are their drain holes in this enclosure?

Old 08-19-19, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
The condensate comes from the styrofoam area inside by the blower and runs towards the outside. Basically the condensate comes off the coil inside the house...... follows a path to the outside coil and fan where it is dissipated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: