ac handler leaking

Old 07-29-19, 09:44 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ac handler leaking

So, I've been having a nightmare with the AC handler in my attic. I recently moved to the house and have inherited the AC (it's 10 years old. Sears brand). About a week ago, I had some water leaking through my ceiling. I looked at the drain pain and it was filled with water. I shop vac it out. And I notice dripping of water from the AC handler into the pan. It's actually dripping on the blower side and not around the coils. Anyway, I have a plumber come out and he says he checked the pan inside the handler and the coils and nothing is cracked. He can't really figure out what the issue is except to say that the drain may be clogged. He blows into the drain and says that should do it. Well, the handler was still leaking into the drain pan and the ceiling would still leak although the ceiling is leaking more because the insulation is wet too which doesn't help.
I called another plumber. He comes out and says that because I have a negative pressure system that it isn't draining properly. So he adds a vent to my drain pipe but removed the "p" trap. I didn't know he did that until that evening when I was getting a lot of water coming from the ceiling and it was filling up on the drain pan like crazy. I turned off the unit and called an emergency plumber. This plumber added the p trap back. He said that the system checks out and that the drain was improperly set up for years and that the insulation inside the AC handler is saturated and that is where the dripping is coming from at this point. Basically, residual water in the AC Handler and that it has to dry for that dripping to stop. He even showed me inside how wet the insullation is and pressed on it and quite a bit water came dripping out. He suggested that I run the fan continuously to see if that will help drying out the inside of the handler. So this morning, I got up and didn't see any leaking coming from the ceiling but still see some dripping from the handler into the drain pan. I'm thinking I'm good. However, when I looked at the re-piping that the last plumber did, he moved the vent pipe before the trap. Everything I read says that the vent pipe has to go after the trap. Of course, I call the plumber and he says that it can be installed before the trap. Am I going to be okay with this setup? So far, it looks like it is draining but the consensus seems to be that the vent has to go after the P trap. The first plumber had installed the vent that I didn't have but removed the P trap but the vent was after where the P trap was installed. I just want to ensure that I won't have any major problems if the vent pipe is installed before the trap. If it is a problem, what can I do? I can't really afford to keep having these plumbers coming out.

Old 07-29-19, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
You can use paragraphs to make the text easier to read.

There are two drains..... a primary drain directly from the air handler and the secondary drain.... in this case the overflow pan. If you are getting water in the overflow pan.... there is either a vapor lock (suction) keeping the drain from working properly or the drain line is plugged.

Some pictures of the setup there would be helpful........ How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 08-22-19, 10:38 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEVER call a plumber for an ac problem... first they have no idea what they are doing and will charge an arm and a leg.... you see the plumber knows NOTHING about HVAC.. else they should have told you no water should ever drip into your pan unless something is wrong.. There should be a primary drain line coming out of the unit going direct to outside.. and when that line clogs.. it back up and will run into the pan.. and when the pan fills it should have a different drain line to the outside... An if the unit is not real old it should have an autoshut down.. if the pany fills before it over flows... and if you do not have that emergency shutdown.. any ac guy can add on to protect your ceilings... Watch my lips "Never call a plumber for an ac problem..." LOL.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: