Only one capacitor in AC unit

Old 07-30-19, 08:49 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Only one capacitor in AC unit

Iím wanted to replace the capacitor and contactor in my AC so I opened the panel, noted the ratings, ordered a dual run capacitor from amazon. Capacitor arrived, I went back out there only to notice that the original round capacitor only has 2 terminals and one pair of wires attached. There is no second capacitor in sight. Will someone kindly explain? Donít all ac units have a start and a run capacitor?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-19, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

It is uncommon for a residential ac unit to have a start capacitor.
To have a start capacitor would mean that there would have to be a start relay which is a cost most companies don't want to add.

You would expect to see a dual capacitor for the compressor and condeser fan motor.
If yours is a single circuit capacitior the fan motor capacitor could be attached to the motor.
You can use the dual capacitor if the rating matches yours and there is space to mount it.

Old 07-31-19, 10:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much! I put the dual in like you suggested. It’s actually a bit smaller than the original capacitor. That’s why I assumed it was a dual without looking at the terminals. A capacitor that big simply couldn’t have been a single, that was my line of thinking