Any trick to finding local HVAC part supplier?

Old 08-04-19, 04:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Any trick to finding local HVAC part supplier?

That probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'm having a difficult time finding a part supplier in my area (South Jersey / Philly). I've looked online for "HVAC part near me" and other similar terms, but all I seem to get are HVAC installers. There's got to be a parts place around here somewhere. Looking for a new co denser fan motor. My online attempt was unsuccessful - got the wrong motor and it took me literally three days to get the retailer to understand that.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-19, 05:10 AM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
Old 08-04-19, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Some of our local HVAC parts stores will only sell to those who have an HVAC license [or work for a licensed company] Doesn't seem to matter if it's a part that isn't part of the refrigeration.

tony22p voted this post useful.

Last edited by marksr; 08-04-19 at 06:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-19, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I should have made that clear. What marksr said was part of the problem I found with that places I did call. Sorry for not adding that tidbit. But thanks Norm201 I'll give these places a call on Monday.

Old 08-04-19, 07:46 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
T,
Maybe this sight can help you find what you are looking for and they deal with the general public.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...+RPM+fan+motor

Hope this helps a little.

Old 08-04-19, 11:19 AM
When the real estate bubble burst in FL they would sell to anyone that walked in the door! But can now afford to be selective again.

I went to buy a part and was told sorry we only sell yada yada yada. So I asked if they knew where I could go. The sent me about a 1/2 block down the street.

Old 08-04-19, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
And this helps the OP how?

Old 08-04-19, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
It is going to be very difficult to find a brick and mortar supply company. None of the ones in my area will sell to anyone without an account which usually meas an EPA certificate. Most all the online sellers will sell to you. Try a different one.

Old 08-04-19, 04:13 PM
The problem, PJmax , is that the two places I found are both sales fronts by other names for the same Sellersburg, IN outfit - which has about as horrible a reputation as you can find online. The place where I bought what was supposed to be the right part claims they do have it, but they want the old one back first (not unreasonable). Frankly I don't trust them, and if I did I'd be out AC for at least another week. My hope was for a walk in purchase so I could get this [email protected] thing fixed with the right part.

Old 08-05-19, 05:17 AM
I spoke to three parts suppliers in my area. None will sell direct to the consumer. :-(

Old 08-06-19, 04:08 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
With today's overnight and quick shipping the need for local supplier had largely gone away.

As a price reference I use HomeDepot. For years have used www.supplyhouse.com and find even with shipping costs added it is far cheaper than HD. Local hardware stores are often double HD prices and have shorter business hours.

Supplyhouse is becoming the Amazon of plumbing/electrical and HVAC world for both consumers and trade.

I have side business with tax exempt number and can use local distributors but rarely do. Avoid ***** and other HVAC distributors that require EPA numbers and established accounts.

Recently bought new 16 pound tank of R-22 refrigerant on ebay for $16 per pound delivered. A local HVAC company would have charged twice as much for adding the couple of pounds needed. For future needs still have 13 pounds in tank. Duh.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-06-19 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Removed company name
Old 08-06-19, 07:10 PM
I posted this in a different thread, but I did in fact use supplyhouse.com this time. They had the exact Rheem replacement fan motor, which I confirmed with them via chat. It'll be here tomorrow. Thanks spott and doughess .

Old 08-07-19, 01:20 PM
I got my Genteq from supplyhouse.com. I'm a little concerned about the way it looks coming out of the box. The one I got previously from an Amazon seller (which was the wrong part) was a sparkling clean looking Genteq. I checked the self tapping mount holes and they do look uncut, so it suggests the motor had not been screw mounted. But it sure looks like it had been exposed to some weather - or at least handled after it came off the production line. What do you all think?

Attached Images   
Old 08-07-19, 01:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Personally I'd be more concerned with how it works than what it looks like.

Old 08-07-19, 01:35 PM
No disagreement there, but I called supplyhouse and they advised not to install it until they got back to me. This was not a part they had in stock. It was drop shipped by another supplier; they're going to contact them to make sure I wasn't sent a refurb or something like that.

Old 08-09-19, 04:53 AM
All good. I will give a thumbs up to supplyhouse.com for their customer service. Part was verified as new by the secondary supplier. Installed an running fine.

Old 08-09-19, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's a place called Greenberg in Wilmington, DE who will sell consumers just about anything.

Very helpful customer service too.

SupplyHouse is great as well.

Old 08-10-19, 07:57 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
As benchmark for HVAC pricing I use the Taco 007-f5 circulator pump price.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-007...5-HP-1983000-p

SupplyHouse.com is $90, HomeDepot $97, Greenberg $107 and Grainger $168 all plus shipping.

Can pickup at three HomeDepot stores withing 10 miles and with 10% veterans discount net is $87.

Old 08-10-19, 12:30 PM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Most places only sell to licensed people.

for online orders, repair clinic and technical hot and cold parts both have good reputations and 1 year return policies. repair clinic can be on the pricey side.

haven't bought anything from these companies but almost did.

most places that sell to diy'ers don't allow for any returns.