Trane xl1200 Condenser Fan on Continuosly - Line Freeze up

Old 08-12-19, 08:38 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane xl1200 Condenser Fan on Continuosly - Line Freeze up

I have a model TT036C100A0 that has a frozen line running to the evaporator. The air filter is not plugged and the vents flow freely. The condenser fan and compressor is running continuously and I read this can be one of the causes of the freeze up. One part to check is the contactor. What else should be checked to trouble shoot?

Last edited by edge10; 08-12-19 at 08:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-19, 08:51 AM
Received 69 Votes on 65 Posts
Hi, does the compressor and condenser an shut off when the is no call for cooling at the Stat?
Geo

Old 08-12-19, 08:58 AM
E
No, they are both continuously running. I shut off the stat and freeze up stopped initially with the condenser fan running. However, just checked and I got freeze up again with the stat in the same off position. I think I should the kill power to the unit.

Old 08-12-19, 09:01 AM
R
Received 102 Votes on 96 Posts
So when you turn up the setpoint and/or turn the thermostat to off the condenser stays running?
Check for coil voltage at the contactor. If the coil voltage is dropping out but the contactor remains closed you probably have a welded contactor.
If coil voltage doesn’t drop out you have a short circuit in the control wiring.

Old 08-12-19, 10:28 AM
E
Yes, both compressor and condenser fan stay running with the raised setpoint or turning off the control at the t-stat.

Turns out the contactor is bad. I cleaned the contacts with cleaner for temp fix until I get the new part. 2 on/off cycles and it is still OK. Anyone have a online store for Trane parts they have good experience with ?

Condenser coil fins are pretty dirty too. Anyone have a recommended cleaner?

Last edited by edge10; 08-12-19 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-12-19, 11:21 AM
R
Received 102 Votes on 96 Posts
Contactor is generic. You can find them anywhere.
Just need to know the pole, amp rating and coil voltage.
Yours is likely a 30 or 40 amp/24 volt. Either 1 or 2 pole.

Old 08-12-19, 11:57 AM
Received 69 Votes on 65 Posts
Hi, I use the coil cleaner from the Big Orange store, seem to work fine, as mentioned most contactors are generic .
Geo

Old 08-14-19, 06:48 AM
E
Is there anything else I should do for preventive maintenance on this unit? Should I replace the start and run capacitors for the fan and compressor ? They look like the originals and the terminals and case on the comp run cap have corrosion, so it looks like at least the run cap should be replaced. I can test the others, but I would not think they have much life left after 26 yrs.

Old 08-14-19, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
You'd be surprised at how long the old capacitors will last.
Don't expect today's replacements to last nearly as long.
It wouldn't hurt to replace them. Keep the olds ones as spares.

Condenser coil cleaning is very important. I agree.... the cleaner from big Orange is fine. Get two cans as one is not quite enough. You'll probably need to lift the fan up to get to the inside of the coils. The spray can go on from either side but it's best to rinse from the inside out. Work carefully..... the heat fins are very easy to bend.

Old 08-15-19, 07:07 AM
E
Do you brand of new capacitors you usually go with - M, J, G (which is OEM) or other? Since they don't make them like they used to, I'll test and only replace capacitors as needed. I get/keep spares as you suggest.

Old 08-15-19, 09:28 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
I'd look for a capacitor made anywhere other than China. Not sure you'll find one, but I'd look anyway.