AC Unit runs for day or two, then quits cooling

Old 08-13-19, 03:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC Unit runs for day or two, then quits cooling

One of my 2 AC Unit runs for day or two, then quits cooling. Repairman came by once after I had left the unit off for an hour. He said the coolant looked ok. It started up fine and ran for another day. Now it is blowing hot air. Could it be the drains clogged? I have put a cup of bleach in each drain pipe. I see no water leaking anywhere. I tried hooking a wet vac up to the outside pipe drain, but did not pull anything. I think this one drain drains somewhere else like in the bathroom.

Outside cage fins were very dusty/dirty. I sprayed water hose thru them to try to clean. Will try the unit again soon.

Turned on again, and just like last 2 times, it has started ok. Cool air coming out but not sure how cold. I think I found the outlet drain in the 2nd bathroom sink. Took it apart. Some gooey stuff in there, but there seems to be some water draining there. The other drain pipe goes to outside. But I'm not sure which is which. Temp has been over 100 last few days.

Last edited by dluher; 08-13-19 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-19, 08:01 PM
I think the outside drain lines are for the overflow drain. The condensate drains appear to be merged into one pipe going to a bathroom sink drain. So I guess I would have to turn off the other AC unit to see if the failing one is draining ok. It has been running ok for 3 hours now.

Old 08-14-19, 12:59 PM
I have tested both overflow drain lines which go outside, and they both are fine. The other drain which goes to the bathroom sink is working fine on the other unit, but the failing unit seems to have some blockage. Anything better than bleach to clear it? I'm getting a couple of estimates from techs.

Last edited by dluher; 08-14-19 at 02:46 PM.