10 year old compressor that is hard starting. Wired wrong?

Old 08-23-19, 04:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
10 year old compressor that is hard starting. Wired wrong?

I pulled the cover off my ac unit to read specs and to see about installing a hard start kit. I see that it has a hard start kit installed from original install. My issue is that I think it's installed incorrectly.

It has a turbo 200x dual start/run capacitor. Leads are bridged to set it up to 80/5. Then it has a Supco SPP6 hard start capacitor. My issue is with the two black wires coming from the hard start capacitor. One of the black wires goes to the 50 MFD terminal and the other black wire goes to the 10 MFD terminal. Neither wire goes to the central common terminal.

I know it's tough to tell, but the two black wires coming from the hard start capacitor are coming from lower left and lower center. They are the only black wires in the picture. You can see neither wire terminates on the center terminals.

Is this hooked up incorrectly?

Attached Images  
Old 08-23-19, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That doesn't sound correct but it doesn't sound likely that you could get 10 years of "no trouble use" the way it is currently. Those caps can be tricky to wire with all the jumper choices.

Old 08-24-19, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
The correct connection for that Supco hard start relay/capacitor is for one wire to be connected to Herm or higher rated mfd terminal and the other to the C or common terminal.

You use two different Mfd raings when describing the connection.
I would suggest you look up your unit's specs to ensure you have the correct capacitor.
It is quite common for a service person to use whatever is in the truck to get someone running and folks will seldom want to pay for a second service call to install the correct one.

Also, you would do well to pull off each terminal and give it a gentle squeeze with pliers to ensure there is a solid connection.

Old 08-26-19, 12:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, I installed the new dual cap and hard start this afternoon. I discharged the cap first and of course shut the breaker off before attempting anything.

It starts as quiet as a new unit!

Old 08-26-19, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: