Desperately need help with Trane A/C !

Old 08-28-19, 04:42 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Desperately need help with Trane A/C !

Hello I am having some issues with my outside Trane AC unit, had to replace my Capacitor it 2 months ago and last week the thermostat in house with a Honeywell RTH2300/RTH221 and at 1st it worked fine, but Sunday before I went to church all seemed fine but the fan on the outside unit was spinning even when set temp was achieved but no air was blowing, just fan turning and I could not stop it with even turning thermostat off. When I got back from Church the fan would turn off when temp was achieved.

Only way to get the outside fan on AC unit Fan to stop is the turn AC breaker off, have tried to even run heat works fine but the outside AC unit fan still runs.
Called Honeywell and they had me try a few things but all to no avail and said most likely I had a AC Fan relay switch go bad.

Went and got another Thermostat but issue is still the same!

So where is the AC fan relay located and what else could it be?

Thank You very much for any help and advise!
John

Old 08-28-19, 06:01 PM
R
Received 178 Likes on 164 Posts
Is the compressor running as well all the time? Is this a heat pump?
Check for a stuck/welded contactor. If ok check for a constant call on the control wire with your meter.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-28-19, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,321 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There is no A/C fan relay.
It's either the contactor that controls the compressor AND that fan or it's defective fan motor.

Old 08-28-19, 06:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm assuming that the a/c still cools the house. You possibly have a stuck contactor in the outdoor unit. Shut the power off to the outdoor unit, open up the panel and take a good picture then post it here. Hopefully you have a voltmeter.

Old 08-28-19, 08:07 PM
J
Question

Thanks you all for the "Nice Welcome"!

Sorry if I was not clear but I have the AC unit behind house and the Air Handler inside Garage, the main breaker for the AC unit has nothing to do with the Heat unit in the Air handler, both heat & air work perfect and both cut off when set temp is reached, except the outside AC fan is still spinning and blowing air out in to the outside and no matter what I do turn off thermostat, the outside fan keeps running and if I turn main breaker for the AC off then the outside fan will stop (but then I have no AC my heat will work as always since it doesn't use the outside AC unit.

My Heat Unit has a separate Breaker in the main panel, this sounds stupid but when fan is running in AC unit and I turn it off per breaker I cant really tell if Compressor is on or not but when I flip breaker on it sometimes hums temp like it wants to start up but cant tell my Unit always runs very quietly.

No it is not a Heat Pump system, I even put my old Thermostat back in and still same issue and both of my New ones do the same, now 1 thing with the new Thermostats is different from the old one, it has " build in compressor protection" this forces compressor if restarted too soon after shutdown to wait 5 minutes and has the Cool on sign flashing till it comes on.

I learned that the AC unit does not have a Fan relay switch in unit, which however there seems to be 1 in Air Handler Heater unit, which in this case has I think nothing to do with the outside AC Fan, since in past the Outside Fan or unit never runs when Thermostat is switched to Heat!

So I guess tomorrow eve I have to open AC unit and find the Contactor, are they all different? I have a Voltmeter but sometimes don't know how to use it sine it is way to complicated for me!

Is there any Danger to keep using the AC unit while it is doing this? It had started this 3 days ago, had noticed that but when I got back from Church it had stopped and last 2 days all was fine. Is it possible the new Capacitor went bad after 3 weeks?

Thank You all for the info, I will look at the Contactor tomorrow and pull it out.
Just glad I now know that there is no Fan relay in Unit like Honeywell said!

While the outside fan keeps running it is not blowing any air in house after Thermostat hits set temp. but seems to blow air in to the outside since if I hold hand over outside Unit, I feel warm air blowing on my hand.

Have changed filter, hosed off Coils inside & outside last week.

Thank You!

Old 08-28-19, 08:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
" I feel warm air blowing on my hand."
Seems like your compressor is still running. When the unit should be off and the outdoor fan is spinning feel the larger of the 2 pipes going into the house. Is it cold? I would not run the unit like this you could damage the compressor.

Old 08-28-19, 09:07 PM
J
57TinkerMan! Thank You for your response! Between you and a vid I just found I am sure(?) the compressor may be running since there is a lot of moisture on the outside large pipe going in to house and the only large pipe in house going to Air Handler also has a lot of moisture on it. Have never seen that before.

So I turned AC Breaker off and just now am using fan from Air Handler (heater) to help cool house!

Found a Vid where dude had same issue as I do, his AC unit turned off when set temp was reached, he heard that in another room fan outside running and found a bunch of Ice on 1 of his pipes, think he said return pipe and he said he turned breaker off to keep compressor from getting damage.

So I will tomorrow afternoon take a bunch of pictures where all wires go and take it off and with me to get another at Home Depot!
Somebody in that vid said they were charged $199. to have contactor replaced.

Old 08-28-19, 09:26 PM
J
Sadly Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart and even Ace don't have any have to order and wait 5 days and 1 don't even what type I need, but there is a AC place downtown where surely they will have one?

Old 08-28-19, 09:30 PM
R
Received 178 Likes on 164 Posts
If they will sell to you.
Many hvac supply houses only sell to contractors.

Old 08-28-19, 10:02 PM
J
I guess it wont hurt anything in morning early afternoon while calling round etc... to turn AC unit on to lower house temp. for a while since it will be in the 90's and as soon as Thermostat lowers it to set temp then I will turn AC Breaker off again????

Thank You!

Old 08-29-19, 11:52 AM
Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts
Hi, Big Orange should have what you need, did you check in the heating isle , not in electrical.
Geo

Old 08-29-19, 11:55 AM
J
Do I need to discharge capacitor before pulling out contactor?
Thank You!

Old 08-29-19, 01:52 PM
Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts
Hi, it won’t hurt to drop a screwdriver across the terminals, probably won’t see much.
Geo

Old 08-31-19, 09:52 AM
J
Thank You to all!

Replaced part and all is well!
Wishing a "Happy Labor Day" to all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: