New AC: Replace liquid line

Old 08-30-19, 10:03 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New AC: Replace liquid line

My old AC was 20 years old and it was replaced by a new Lennox last month. The installer replaced only the suction line (the larger one) but not the liquid line.

I complained to the store because both lines was supposed to be replaced. Now they offer to replace the liquid line for me.

Since my new AC has been running for a whole month, is it too late to change out the liquid line?

Old 08-31-19, 05:40 AM
Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts
Hi, if the will replace the liquid line for no charge, DO IT! you will a completely new system.
Just curious, why didnít the tech replace the liquid line in the first place?
Geo

Old 08-31-19, 07:37 AM
M
Not sure why they did not change the liquid line. Maybe lack of time, the installation of AC and furnace took almost 12 hours. Although My basement is finished with drop ceilings, they still had to cut 4 holes to install the new suction line (holes not repaired yet).

The new AC is Lennox 2-tone unit, EL16XC1-024. According to the product specs, the suction line is 3/4 and the liquid line is 3/8.
The salesman told me that the installer would replace both lines because of the sizes of the lines had changed over the years. I recall he told me that the old liquid line was either 1/4 or 5/16. Also, I read that the old and new units use different refrigerants and they produce different oil residual which should not mix.

For the installation, I know the installer only changed out the suction line but not liquid line. I do not know if he flushed out the old liquid line or did a pressure test.

While I know that the liquid line should be changed. But the AC has been running for a month, it it too late to change? Has the “damage” been done?

Old 08-31-19, 07:58 AM
Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts
If the sales Weasle said it would be changed then have them change it, the system will need to evacuated and the refrigerant replaced , that should give a clean system.
Geo

Old 08-31-19, 09:28 AM
M
Not sure the exact procedure to replace the liquid line.
Why replace the refrigerant?

Old 08-31-19, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,321 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Geo meant remove it from the system and the replace it back into the system after the line is replaced.

I wouldn't replace the line just becaue it's not new. Replace it if it's the wrong size.
There should be no charge to you.

Old 08-31-19, 10:58 AM
M
There is no charge because the installation includes replacement of both lines.

It was actually the salesman recommendation to replace the lineset because the pipe sizes have been changed.

Also, I read that because of the change of refrigerant, it is recommended to change the lineset. If we use the old line, it should be thorough flushed and pressure tested. I am not sure if the installer did any of this. What would be the adverse impact to the new AC if he did not clean the old pipe properly?

Another complication is the lines are 35 feet. While the adapter makes it work, the smaller pipe size (Lennon is 3/8, the old line was 1/4) would reduce the efficiency of the AC, right?

Last edited by mm33311; 08-31-19 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,321 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Yes.... that will affect the operation of the unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: