I need to know my A/C power requirements

Old 09-03-19, 08:20 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I need to know my A/C power requirements

Thanks in advance for any help today. I had an Amana A/C system installed in May this year. Here are the model numbers: AVPTC61014BA and ASXC160601CB . This is a two stage system. 5 ton.
I want to set up my home electric panel with a transfer switch that will allow me to power my whole house using a portable generator in case of a power outage. I need to understand the power requirements for my A/C unit so that I can get the right size generator.

My installer explained to me how to remove one wire (Y2) from my thermostat so that my A/C only runs in Stage 1 (for the lowest power requirement). He also explained that my whole A/C draws between 8 and 12 Amps in Stage 1. I want to confirm this info so I don’t burn my house down.

I am looking for the Amp draw for both the Air handler and the Condenser unit while running in Stage 1.
From there, I assume that I can multiply the Amps x Volts (240) to get the Watts. If the Amps are 12 (on the high side), then my formula should look like this: 12 x 240 = 2880 Watts. A 5000 Watt generator should be able to run the A/C with power to spare.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-19, 09:59 AM
B
Received 226 Upvotes on 200 Posts
What good is a 2 stage A/C if you only use 1 stage? Selecting and installing a whole house transfer switch and standby generator is not usually a DIY effort. The equipment to determine the worst case power used by the home is expensive and usually installed over a range of weeks. Measuring worst case power is something a standby generator company would do. To insure the correct size (watts) transfer switch and generator are installed, they may turn on electrical loads like A/C, furnace, clothes dryer. Stove, water heater and etc. near the same time as possible to measure the worst load even though this may seldom or never occur with the homeowner. This should include A/C wired for 2 stage.

Old 09-03-19, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,324 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I couldn't find your air handler model. Possibly incorrect number.
The closest model.... 4 ton..... requires minimum ampacity of 7A.

On the condenser......
37A minimum circuity ampacity with overcurrent protection of 60A.
Amana condenser specs

Based on real world application...... you'd need a 12K or larger generator to run your A/C and items in your house. A 5k is not enough to start the condenser.

Old 09-03-19, 12:59 PM
D
Thanks Pete. I looked at the chart. That conflicts with the info I received from Amana this morning. Their tech support says 12.6 Amps combined with a startup of 20+-. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-03-19, 01:03 PM
D
Beezlbob, I appreciate you weighing in. This is obviously too big a task for you, but other folks might like the challenge. With a bit of research, common sense, and a 'don't give up' attitude, some people can accomplish anything. Thanks for your 'opinion'.

Old 09-03-19, 03:09 PM
B
Received 226 Upvotes on 200 Posts
Quite the contrary. I am an electrical engineer . I installed a 17kw standby generator (powered by propane) and a whole house transfer switch so I have some experience. You are the one who has concerns about burning the house down and that just might happen with a "don't give up attitude". Good luck

Old 09-03-19, 10:34 PM
D
Thanks again beezlbob. I was only looking for positive and helpful guidance from some good people. If your goal is to troll forums to crap on peoples desire to improve their lives by doing a lot of research, then you are a huge success. As an electrical engineer, you might have offered some 'constructive' information as to how I might solve my problem on this 'DO IT YOURSELF' forum. Congrats on your big accomplishment installing your generator. Your mom must be so proud of you.

Old 09-04-19, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,324 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
Condescending replies are not how we do things here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: