AC unit leaking water

Old 09-03-19, 01:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC unit leaking water

i have a compressor unit outside and a coil unit in my attic. Had the AC serviced last year and donít really use it a lot. I noticed that the attic unit is leaking through the metal cover just recently.
I opened the cover and took off a second interior cover. There are two lines that look like drain lines. One is draining into a sink drain in a bathroom. The other isnít connected to anything and is just open. I put a pan under it, ran the AC and it filled up with water. Iím not AC guy but shouldnít that be capped off? This is an older unit but Iíve never had problems with it before.

Old 09-03-19, 01:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Is there water dripping from the pipe/tube into the bathroom? If not then the drain line is clogged.

Old 09-03-19, 03:24 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looks like water is draining. Not sure why there would be two drain lines.

Old 09-04-19, 05:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
One is the main drain that is used during normal operation and the other is an overflow in case the primary drain clogs. If you are only getting a slow trickle or dripping out of the drain line and the pan of the AC is full then the line may be partially clogged.

Old 09-04-19, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
Look closely at the air handler. There are two drain lines. One is located slightly slower than the other one. This is the primary drain. This should do all the draining of the system.

The secondary drain is slightly higher so if any water comes out of this drain.... it's telling you that the primary drain is plugged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: