Genteq ECM 2.5 burnt out, no cooling. What are my options?

Old 09-04-19, 08:16 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Genteq ECM 2.5 burnt out, no cooling. What are my options?

Good afternoon everyone!

For the past few weeks I have been battling a problematic AC blower in some pretty hot weather. The blower tries to spin but just violently jerks back and forth making a rumbling noise then gives fault code 41 (blower motor issue). The company insisted that it was the main board, and after testing output voltages and everything I determined that it must be the ECM. I did open the ECM to check the problematic thermistor that many have had to replace, however it was fine and the resistance was within spec and dropped when heated. I also checked the windings of the motor and everything checks out, no grounding issues and the resistances are spot on Despite all this the company came out to switch the board, lo and behold it didnt work! So I sent them on their way (with their board) and am looking to replace the ECM 2.5 on the motor.

I am looking on ebay at the ECM 3.0 and Eon ECM replacements (used) for around $100 such as this one. It is my understanding that most of these need an adaptor ring to work (which I cant find anywhere), so if I can't find one I can just cut the portion off the old ECM and make my own adapter ring for the Eon ECM. My main concern is the wiring. The one I linked to has the same 16 pinout as my ECM 2.5, so fitment aside will this work? Is there anything I am missing?

Another option is to purchase a Qwikswap V3 and a PSC motor but for over $300 id rather try a new ECM first.

Old 09-04-19, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Only one thread is allowed on a topic and this one is yours.

I'm not familiar with that replacement kit you linked to on ebay. I usually just replace the module with one from the supply house. They do the leg work to identify a replacement.

Old 09-04-19, 11:04 PM
U
The thermistor in my current ECM is rated to 1ohm however it reads out to 1.5ohm (and this is while its connected to the board). Could this value be far enough out of spec to cause the blower to jerk back and forth and never spin up?

Old 09-05-19, 02:15 PM
U
Okay, so I contacted Carrier as a "technician" and they patched me through to my local distribution center. They gave me the model number of the newest module that would work to replace what I have now in conjunction with my unit. $380 out the door is a lot, but it beats the $600+ before tax and labor that the service tech wanted.

Just for testing purposes I bridged the thermistor in my current ECM module and the blower started up twice in a row, but then went back to the same old problem. After being without power overnight it worked again when powered up, so I am refraining from turning it back off in case it doesn't start again. I think more than the thermistor is bad, possibly caps. Regardless a new unit is on the way.

Old 09-05-19, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
I'd say 1.5 ohms is to high for a 1 ohm rated part.
You can check the voltage drop across the device to see if it's dropping too much voltage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: