Goodman Contactor wiring

Old 09-07-19, 12:52 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman Contactor wiring

Hi all. We just purchased a house that came with a Goodman CK49-1B unit and the a/c went out due to a bad capacitor. I purchased a replacement capacitor and installed it and got the a/c working again. I became my wife's and kids hero for the day since the temp was up to 92 degrees in socal. I then noticed that someone serviced the unit prior and left out the cover to the capacitor and contactor and the contactor shows evidence of rust and corrosion due to exposure to the environment. So I purchased a new contactor from Amazon which is a two pole 40 amp 24v coil.

My original contactor as pictured:
Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 3177
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  c2.jpg
Views: 3122
Size:  46.3 KB

replacement contract is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Name:  c3.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  61.8 KB

I turned off power to the furnace as well the 230v powering the AC unit. I made sure the capacitor is discharged then I transferred all the cables as labeled from the original contactor. L1 to L1 and L2 to L2. Red wires to T1 posts and the black and dark purple connected to T2 posts (the new contactor was upside down compared to picture from Amazon)

I then connected the pink and yellow wires to the 2 posts on the left side of the contactor then the purple wire to the post on the right side of the contactor.

After completion of transferring all the cables, I then reconnect 230v and return power to the furnace. Then went to the thermostat to turn on AC but AC didn't run. Then my thermostat reading blanked out. I looked that the furnace and I got a 24 code and it turned out that a fuse was burnt. I then turn off power to both furnace and ac unit again. Replace the furnace fuse. Put back the rusty contactor and wife and kids are happy again.

I think the problem was the pink/yellow and purple wires that caused the short. Can anyone one please let me know what I did wrong? Thanks so much

Panel diagram: https://imgur.com/ANEqjrW

Last edited by PJmax; 09-07-19 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added pics from links
Old 09-07-19, 05:08 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, I assume it was a low voltage fuse, correct? That purple conductor looks a bit suspicious, where does the other end of it go? The wiring Dia. Is a bit hard to see.
Geo

Old 09-07-19, 08:27 AM
N
Thank you for the reply Geo. Yes, it was the 24v fuse that was blown. The purple wire goes inside of the unit and I suspect this is going to the fan motor. I am not an electrician but looking at the diagram, this purple wire should be plugged to the C side of the capacitor and a black wire from the motor should be plugged into the fan contact on the capacitor but there is none there currently. I may have to take the panels out from the AC unit to get a better look.

Edit: So thinking about this. Was the short due to me plugging the pink and yellow wire to the same side (the left side of the contactor)?. Should one wire go to the left and other go to the right side of the contactor? Then the purple wire should be plugged onto C of the capacitor?

Old 09-07-19, 08:54 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
The purple is load side high voltage.
Coil is brown and yellow.
You were feeding one leg of high voltage to the control circuit. Hopefully nothing was damaged.

Old 09-07-19, 09:00 AM
N
Thank you roughneck. So how should I connect these then? I would appreciate if you would make it a little clearer

Here is the zoomed out image: https://imgur.com/yhObwpc

Old 09-07-19, 09:19 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Purple goes to the switchable leg on the contactor.
The brown wire goes to one side of the coil. The yellow to the other side.

Old 09-07-19, 09:38 AM
N
Thanks again Roughneck and please forgive me for being a little thick but I want to make it clear so that I don't damage things again.

So what you are saying is that I should plug the purple wire to the contacts where the red wires should go (T1 contacts)? then the brown wire (pink from my perspective) goes to one side and the yellow to the other? Is that correct?

Old 09-07-19, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Was the short due to me plugging the pink and yellow wire to the same side (the left side of the contactor)?.
That's an old style contactor. Both coil wires on the same side.
I added pics to your first post and labeled the new contactor.

Yes.... the purple wire goes to the same location as the red.
If you look at the first picture..... there is a large metal tab that the red and purple are connected to.

Old 09-07-19, 04:45 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, the conductors that are coming from the Tstat for cooling ,one is pink ,one is the one with the yellow wire nut, Peteís pic is dead on.
Geo

Old 09-08-19, 09:09 AM
N
I have successfully installed the new contactor and everything is working great. I want to express my deepest gratitude to so many friendly, knowledgeable and simply amazing people on this forums to guide me through this process. I have learned something valuable. Thanks again

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-19, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
And thank you for letting us know how you made out. Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  1.6 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: