split AC needs air ventilation?

Old 09-11-19, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
split AC needs air ventilation?

hi friends and masters,

from some articles about the Split AC ventilation, some said the room with split AC still needs a proper ventilation coz the split AC doesn't have ventilation system itself, some said that no need ventilation coz it may affect the cooling process.

confusing, i now doing a small music studio project (L2.3m x W3.3m x H2.8m), multiple wall layers and acoustic treatment, well sealed room including double doors with seal.
i use split AC for cooling system, dont have any ventilation.

is the room safe? since the room is sealed, i am concerning about the oxygen or fresh air supply for the room. should i put a small blower or silent exhaust? or no need one of them?

another issue will be noise from inside and outside the room

look forward for advise

thanks

Niel

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-19, 07:30 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Per code commercial buildings need fresh air. If this is in your home then fresh air will not be needed per national code. (Your local code could require it) If you are someone is spending hours in this room Id say you probably need it. Mostly because of CO2 issues.

Old 09-11-19, 08:36 AM
thanks airman.1994,
could a 1way vent from outside to inside the room be enough?

Old 09-11-19, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You don't need to ventilate for the A/C unit. That is completely self-contained and just recirculates the air. The ventilation would be for the quality of the air like airman mentioned.

Old 09-11-19, 10:05 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Could one vent from outside the room do it? Hard to say. The one and only commercial sound room I have been involved with was from a central system with lots of sound attenuators. With a ductless split in the room I'm guessing noise isn't a major issue. Duct with attenuators and a small fan should be fine. Depending on how tight the room is you might need a return.

Old 09-11-19, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
A room like you describe would need to have a minimum of 6 air changes/hr.
This works out to being about a 150 cfm fan.
You would use an exhaust fan of at least this cfm depending on how long your ductwork is.
Connect the exhaust fan ductwork near the top of the room and position the air intake on an opposite wall near the floor.

For noise reduction use oversized ductwork and locate the fan at the end of the ductwork.
Two 90 deg elbows between the room and fan will further reduce noise.

Old 09-11-19, 05:49 PM
thanks PJmax, i am glad found this forum
and yes i also read that its best to block all the ventilations due to noise issue

Old 09-11-19, 05:57 PM
@airman.1994
i've planned to do a small isolated duct like this :
https://id.pinterest.com/pin/403001866646580851/

Old 09-11-19, 06:14 PM
yes GregH, is it like this? https://id.pinterest.com/pin/403001866646580851/

@GregH @airman.1994,
but due to limited space, i'm going to do only 1 duct with fan that brings fresh air into the room, hope this can supply more O2, and let the split AC do the rest, like PJmax said that the splitAC completely self-contained and just recirculates the air.
or maybe do you have another duct system diagram that can do 2ways silent circulation?

i just found another solution :
https://www.firstcorporation.com/bui...oles-phonobox/
but i dont think the ordering n shipment could meet my schedule

Old 09-12-19, 09:22 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Short answer: With just one separate intake duct the split AC will not do the rest.

Ventilation and air conditioning are actually two separate topics. A properly installed AC system, split or not, can cool the room air perfectly well without providing ventilation.

One duct that, say, brings fresh air into the room and no duct or opening, say, on the other side of the room to relieve the pressure resulting (the opposite of making up air) will not bring much fresh air in.

A split air conditioner system may or may not have a louver in an evaporator unit (installed at an exterior wall) to select between (some) outside air introduced versus only recirculation of room air. Such a louver, if present, can serve as the makeup air provider if the single duct elsewhere is for exhaust or serve as the pressure reliever if the single duct elsewhere is for intake.

Having the air exhaust opening some distance from the AC unit is more energy efficient in that newly cooled air is not immediately exhausted.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-12-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-12-19, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Ok
You really need not overthink this as it can really be simple.

You would want to use an exhaust fan to remove air from the room rather than push air into the room.
You need 150 cfm of air removal. Normally a 4" duct would work well for this air volume but if you upsized it to 6" the velocity would be low enough to be fairly quiet.
Also, as I have said if you install the fan away from the room and use a couple of elbows you should reduce the sound of the fan itself.
An opening of the opposite side of the room would allow the air to be replaced and you could put an air filter over it as well.

Old 09-16-19, 03:39 AM
Thanks AllanJ and GregH, well.. i think its unnegotiable hehehe, so i need to have 2 holes in this small sealed room then

thanks a lot guys..really appreciated