PTAC replacement

Old 09-13-19, 01:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PTAC replacement

Hi, I have been trying to know how PTAC works since my AC broke but there is not much information out there so I am hoping someone here is an expert in this area.

I have PTACs with hydronic heat in my nyc apartment. The model number is Trane PTED1201WCA. I do not like anything about my broken down PTAC at all and would like choose something that I actually love.
My questions are:
1. Do I have a choice of picking from a selection of models?
2. Is there a way to slim down the wall sleeve so the PTAC doesnít take much of space?
3. Can I install a smart thermostat with the PTAC even though I do not have wall-mounted thermostat?
4. How much will it cost me? I have got some estimates and they are around 2400 dollars.
5. Anything else I need to pay attention while shopping for a PTAC?
6. I found out McQuay PDNS or PDAN is compatible with my machine. I heard it is a big company but I donít seem to find much information about them or where to buy their units. Anyone knows this company?
Thank you so much in advance and sorry for tons of questions. If anyone knows anything at all, please share with me!
Wei

Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  p2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  p3.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  p4.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  108.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-13-19 at 07:49 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 09-13-19, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately PTAC units are utilitarian looking and no one really "loves" them.
There are certain parameters there like sleeve size and depth as well as hot water pipe locations that must be taken into account when replacing the unit.

I couldn't really make a recommendation on which exact model to get. If you are in an apartment they usually have a preferred vendor and he should be able to make recommendations based on what is there now and what is most compatible. They should also be able to offer you multiple thermostat choices. You'd need to tell them upfront what type of thermostat you'd want.

McQuay is a leader in this field.

Old 09-14-19, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
The McQuay PTAC units work well and are fairly trouble free.
Unless you are willing to change the sleeve to accomodate other models you are stuck with units that fit the space.

It is fairly common to use remote thermostats and a smart one would work but you must have relays installed to adapt the unit for remote control.
I can't see how the room is laid out but it might be possible to place a wall mounted thermostat close to the unit which will make wiring it easier.
I can't comment on what that would cost but someone quoting the installation should be able to do it or find someone who can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: