Sometimes Cold Air. Sometimes Not.

Old 10-02-19, 03:22 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes Cold Air. Sometimes Not.

I just thought I'd run this by and see if anyone might have any guesses as to what would cause an A/C unit to blow cold air for several hours and then warm air (80-86 depending on the time of year)? Scenario: Thermostat set to 75. Inside temperature is maintained at that temperature for 8 to 12 hours. After that time period, the blower fan continues to constantly run but inside room temperature reaches up to 86. I turn the thermostat off, go to work (10 hours), come back home, turn the A/C unit on and the temperature goes back down to 75. This same scenario repeats on a daily basis.

Old 10-02-19, 03:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
What kind of A/C is it? Central? In-window? Mini-split?

Old 10-02-19, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If the inside blower is always working ok..... then you need to focus your attention outside.

You could have a defective fan motor.
A defective capacitor.
Low on refrigerant...... possible leak.
Defective contactor.

All just guesses as we can't see what you have there.

Old 10-05-19, 01:30 PM
M
Go clean the coils good. that is a good place to start then get back to us--use a hose- and if super super dirty- use a broom or gentle brush--in direction of fins--not against the grain so to speak- you dont want to bend them. Once you get all the hair, yard clippings and junk off- use a hose and wash them out from the inside- spraying in thru the fan (with it off of course)---and do as much as you can and then hose off from outside.

That is a likely situation---(until we have more information)----and- it will only help if this isn't the problem.

Old 10-07-19, 03:46 AM
J
Thanks for all of your replies.

RocketJSquirrel it is Central A/C (Heat Pump). The unit is on the rooftop of a two-story apartment building.

Thanks for the welcome. Pjmax and mtsaz, I wasn't sure if the thermostat settings on the back side of the thermostat panel might be the culprit since there are some small installer switches back there (HP/Conv, 1st and 2nd stage temp. differential settings, etc.) but I will try and sneak up there and check the cleanliness of the coils and troubleshoot the components with a meter and check for leaks. At least now I know where to start, and I'll get back to you all (if the property maintenance guy doesn't catch me up there).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: