Trane XR13 not running (no hum and fan not turning)

Old 10-01-19, 08:17 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XR13 not running (no hum and fan not turning)

It's just dead. Came home and upstairs was reading 80. Thermostat had batteries, changed the air filter, no signs of ice or pooling/backed up water. Flipped the breaker off and on again, but no dice.

I don't think it's the fan motor (since the condenser isn't coming on either).

Changed the contactor 3 years ago. Could it be the capacitor (though wouldn't the condenser be trying to run/hum at least)?

Appreciate any advice. It's freaking hot out!!!

UPDATE: Checked the fuse for the furnace and it's fine. Light switch for the furnace is on, but furnace is not coming on either!!!

Old 10-01-19, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

No noise from the outside condenser.
Is the blower running inside the house ?

Don't forget.... there is a disconnect outside near the condenser. It may contain fuses. Some do.... most don't. You should also have a 2P30A breaker in the electric panel just for the condenser. Check that.

Old 10-01-19, 11:47 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
May be a bad Thermostat. First, try FAN ONLY on your thermostat, and you may need a multi-meter to check all the wires.

Old 10-02-19, 04:22 AM
R
Blower (in the furnace unit?) Is not blowing. The thermostat "clicks" on when you turn it on, but literally nothing powers on anywhere.

Old 10-02-19, 04:26 AM
R
"there is a disconnect outside near the condenser. It may contain fuses. Some do.... most don't. You should also have a 2P30A breaker in the electric panel just for the condenser."

Would that affect the blower in the Attic (furnace)too?

Old 10-02-19, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
No.... but your problem description indicated an outside problem.

If nothing works anywhere..... thermostat is the primary start point.
If you hear the relays click inside.... it's probably ok.

If your air handler is installed where if it leaked it could cause damage.... there may be a float switch on it tripped from high water. Check for an overflow drain pan or float with wires in the drain line.

If not that.... your next step is to use a meter to check for 24vAC at the thermostat and then at the air handler.

Old 10-02-19, 12:30 PM
R
Thanks for the response. I didn't realize until later after I posted that the furnace blower was also not coming on. So it appears to be the control board on the furnace. There's a connection to it where if you pull up slightly, everything kicks on. Let go, shuts off. Maybe loose leads or solder. Jerryrigged it to keep it running and ordered a replacement board. Also changed the capacitor on the outside unit because it looked terrible and I happened to have a new one. 🤷🏻*♂️

Thanks for your responses.

Old 10-02-19, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
That sounds like it could be a corroded plug/socket connection. Sometimes just removing and reinserting the plug a few times can help. Sometimes a little contact cleaner on the plug side helps.

Old 10-05-19, 12:34 PM
M
Once you get that board- its yours- they most likely will not allow you to return it- so I would do as PJMAX suggests and take a good close look at that connector. It sounds like one of the pins is coming out and not making good contact or is dirty. You can use contact cleaner- or even spray wd40 and see if that helps to clean off/allow you to plug it in better. I seriously doubt the board is bad and those trane (and carrier for that matter) boards are not cheap. If you can get it running I would cancel the order until you have thoroughly checked it out and made sure the plug/connector is not failing somehow---(the part not on the board). solder and so on just doesn't start coming loose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: