Goodman AC grinding noise

Old 10-08-19, 08:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman AC grinding noise

I have a Goodman AC unit that is less than 5 years old and noticed today that there was a grinding sound coming from the unit. When I went out to try and figure out where the grinding was coming from, I noticed it was coming from the ports that a HVAC gauge would connect to. The port coming off of the cooling line was rotating while the unit was on and as a result, it was making grinding noises. When I grabbed a hold of it, the grinding stopped. I then checked the other port and while rotating it, it too made grinding noises (it was not rotating while the unit was on though).

Attached photo shows the piece that's rotating/spinning while the unit is on. Is there anything I can do (WD-40) to get rid of the grinding noise?

Thanks in advance
David

Name:  ac.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  55.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-10-19 at 08:12 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 10-09-19, 09:59 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
That's the HVAC safety cap. you need a special tool to tight it up. but the outside is suppose to be lose. Go to EBAY, search ' HVAC safety caps' for more information. YOUTUBE should have some details too.

Old 10-09-19, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Grinding noise ?? At the worst it should be a jangling sound from a loose shield.

Old 10-10-19, 08:03 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the responses. The safey cap (thank you clocert) spins/rotates when the unit kicks on and while it's spinning, it makes a grinding noise that you can hear inside.

I went out this morning while the unit was on and sure enough, that cap was rotating so I grabbed a hold of it and it stopped. I then rotated it a few times counter clockwise (it normally rotated clockwise on its own). Eventually it stopped spinning on its own. Not sure how long that will hold but at least I know where the sound is coming from and what I need to do to "fix it". Thanks again!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: