AC Drip

Old 11-04-19, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC Drip

Hello. New Condo owner here. My ac unit is located on my roof. When I run the unit I hear a very faint and slow drip drip drip. I canít find any water dripping and have no clue what this could be from. The drip is on the complete opposite side from my heating ac unit. I suspect something is clogged somewhere along the line. Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-19, 01:47 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Id blow out the drain and get into the attic to see if you can find the noise.

Old 11-04-19, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since this is a new install..... you wouldn't be out of line calling back the installing HVAC contractor.

Old 11-05-19, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The air-handler unit in the attic will have a condensation pan built into the evaporator coil. This drains thru a small pipe and is carried out to a plumbing drain or to the outside somewhere. It is very common that this gets clogged. When that happens, the internal pan fills up and overflows into a secondary overflow pan. The overflow pan should have a sensor with a switch that shuts off the AC when it is full. If there is not a shutoff sensor, then the secondary pan will overflow. This is the dripping that you hear. The fix is simple and usually not too expensive, but needs to taken care of as soon as possible. you no doubt have wall damage already and possibly mold. The fix is to shop-vac the drain pipe. I would do this myself, but in your case, I suggest calling an service ASAP.

Old 11-05-19, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
We don't know the complete system type here. It sounds like a packaged unit where everything is on the roof. Being a newly installed system it shouldn't have any drain issues.