Mini split condenser

Old 11-25-19, 04:43 PM
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Mini split condenser

I will be installing a Mitsubishi 12K BTU AC in our master bedroom. Mini splits are new to me and I have a couple of questions -

Can the outside unit be left out over winter or must it be disconnected and stored indoors?

While looking at the list of recommended accessories and materials the manufacturer suggests a pre made mounting pad for the condenser unit. It mentioned that the pad should be mounted "above the snow line for your area" Is this correct? Does that mean that the condenser can't be on a ground level poured pad?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-19, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
The outside condenser is permanently piped in. It doesn't get disconnected for storage.
If it's an A/C only unit..... you can install it on a pad on the ground.
If it's a heatpump and will run in the winter..... you'd want to raise it off the ground.

Old 11-26-19, 07:44 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Since your in CT I for sure I would want it sitting up on a platform.
Even if you where not in a snow area it's best to have it up off the ground to keep it away from grass clipping, trimmer damage, and dogs peeing on it.

Old 11-28-19, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure what the humidity is in CT but I always recommend the Mitsubishi MHK1 thermostat to my customers. I recommend Mitsubishi over any other brand because of this option.

If you are only going to use the remote control that they ship with the indoor fan will run continuously. This will result in higher humidity in cool mode. It can also cause the blower to grow mold in my area.

The MHK1 is a wireless thermostat so you can decide to add it if you see mold forming on the blower wheel after the first year.