Window unit: High fan setting (F3) shuts off

Old 12-13-19, 05:32 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window unit: High fan setting (F3) shuts off

Aloha folks,
I have a 2 year old LG 12,000 btu (LW1217ERSM) window unit for a 333sq ft room that I started having an issue with last week. When the fan is set for high it'll run for a few minutes and then the fan stops and I just hear a hum. I thought the unit was going bad but found that when the fan setting is F1 or F2 it runs fine.
We usually only run it in the evening and during the night for sleeping and run it on the "energy saver" mode if that helps.
Also for future reference, does anyone know where the fuse is on it? The manual mentions checking it during troubleshooting but doesn't say where it is and after a cursory inspection I don't see it anywhere.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-19, 02:30 PM
T
Talked to an HVAC friend today (who knows little about window units) and he mentioned that if I had a knob controller for the fan speed it would probably be that but since mine is all digital would changing out the controller unit fix this?
Don't want to quit on this if I can fix the unit, I'm not a big fan of throw away and replace if I can.

Old 12-13-19, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 761 Votes on 715 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Aloha ?!?!?!? It's 27 here.

Smart wifi window A/C......
As a technician I would connect a meter to the motor and confirm the voltage drops out when in high speed. I would also confirm how many wires the motor has. I'm seeing different motors being used. Some are multispeed and some are not. That would help confirm a defective board or motor.

You can search using that part number for the best price. There are places that will sell it to you with a return guarantee if it doesn't fix the problem.

I see part # EBR83604002 as the temperature and fan speed control board.
Sears Parts Direct - pictorial diagram

Old 12-18-19, 01:41 PM
T
PJmax,
My apologies about being late coming back, tho I live in Hawai'i we still get the colds and flu bugs out here, usually from tourists that visit the islands so I've been out for the last few days.
Went to do the voltage checks and found my DMM is toast, it's over 20 years old and not one of the best so I ordered one of the cheaper Flukes for now.
Any suggestions on a future DMM that I should look into? I basically would be using it for things like this, checking voltages around the house...etc.

Old 12-18-19, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 761 Votes on 715 Posts
Pretty much any meter made by Fluke will be a quality item..... even their lower priced models.

Old 12-25-19, 07:38 AM
T
While waiting for my Fluke to come in from Amazon (I ordered a Fluke 106 as Christmas isn't a great time to be spending money on *me*) I played around with my unit a bit. Finding that it works just fine on F1 & F2 and just flakes on F3 seems logically that it would be the fan speed control board eh?
Just tossing it out there while I wait....