AC compressor no continuity on C

Old 12-31-19, 12:48 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC compressor no continuity on C

Hi

I have a Highly AC compressor that suddenly stopped working. the compressor does have continuity between R and S but no connection to C. This means the windings themselves are ok, but the connection from the windings to the C terminal is faulty.

The terminal looks identical to this one:

Maybe the wire is off just beneath the terminal.
I realized that you can actually buy new terminal blocks, like here:
Hermetic Home Air Conditioner Terminal | Fridge Compressor Terminal | South Source Core

So my question is, (how) can the terminal block be removed from the unit?

thx & regards
Rogger R

Old 12-31-19, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

A terminal block is installed on the inside of the can when a compressor is first assembled and can not be replaced.
It is possible that the internal connector came off but more likely that the windings are burnt out.

If you use a megohmeter or insulation tester between each terminal and ground you may see a problem with the windings.
You could try a multimeter on the highest ohm setting between each terminal and ground but is not a proper test of the windings.
There should be zero continuity.

Old 12-31-19, 05:12 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thx for your answer Greg.

the windings are ok, no reading towards ground. I am electrician, so I am positive about that. Nevertheless I have no experience in AC systems as such.
I read that some compressors have some kind of overload protection called Klixon. I suppose they are either installed on the outside in order to be able to replace them or designed to be reset by itself...

Old 12-31-19, 06:01 AM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
If the windings are burned out they often short together so you see continuity from R to S but there may not be continuity to C.
The only way to tell is to have the compressor's specs that give the resistance of the R and S windings.

Klixons are external devices so tat is not the problem.
As far as I know compressors do not have internal thermal protects but then I am far far away from knowing everything. But motors with internal thermal protects are self resetting.

Google "ac compressor disassembly"
Then give it a shot after all you have nothing to loose,

Old 12-31-19, 07:24 AM
R
Received 126 Votes on 120 Posts
Some compressors do have internal protection.
There is refrigerant on the inside of the compressor. To replace a terminal the refrigerant has to be recycled, and the compressor cut open.
These are called hermetic compressors, meaning they are not field serviceable.
A terminal that’s compromised or done wrong can actually react with the compressor oil, the terminal is discharged from the compressor body and can result in fire.
This compressor isn’t fixable.

Old 12-31-19, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
If there is no thermal protector attached to the terminal cover it will have a winding embedded one.
Also, you would for sure need at least a 1000 volt megger to be sure the windings are ok.

As said, you will need a new compressor but it really doesn't pay to replace them these days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: