Burbling A/C

Old 01-04-20, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burbling A/C

Burble-
noun
  1. continuous murmuring noise.
    "the steady burble of running water"

My Apartment A/C Unit(interior portion), makes a continuous and annoying Burbling sound while running. It's coming from/through the metal fins.They're very wet. The attached picture is current. The drain tray is usually wet and I have made sure that it flows/drains well. Is it the Miami humidity, or has it reached its end of useful life? Thoughts and recommendations welcome.

Name:  HVAC.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  38.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-04-20 at 08:51 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-20, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
When the cooling coil is located in the negative air side of the blower a P-Trap is required to prevent the blower from pulling in air through the drain.

Is that air handler sitting on a wooden plenum or is it on the floor?

Old 01-05-20, 08:26 AM
So you're saying that the burbling noise is coming from the drain pipe? Because it's not getting enough air, it has to pull it from outside the apartment through the pipe? Hypothetically, would it not make that noise with NO filter installed? ie: lots of air flow
As you can see, the interior unit sits atop the water heater and you should see the drain pipe in the center.
I have poured about a 1/2 gallon of hot bleach water down the drain to clean and kill anything growing in it.

Name:  HVAC 2.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  39.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-05-20 at 10:32 AM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Old 01-05-20, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see the drain under the deck but I don’t see a trap.
Can you see if the drain drops into an open plumbers hub or does it have a ridgid drain connection between the 3/4” and the 1-1/2” hub?

Old 01-06-20, 06:15 AM
There is no trap. There are a couple of rigid 90' turns(as you can see), before it enters the wall. I assume it turns at another 90' straight down where it probably joins my neighbors drain to exit the apartments.

Old 01-07-20, 08:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you post the make and model number of your air handler I may be able to show you the page in the manual that states that a P-trap is required.

Old 01-09-20, 10:43 AM
I think we are hung up on a "P-trap". Back to my original question. The noise/burbling seems to be coming directly through the metal fins, specifically from the lower left side(the most Wet area). It does not seem to be coming from the drain hole in the middle of the drain tray, although I could be wrong. From your answer in post 2, I understand how it is supposed to be done/installed. But it's an apartment and it is what it is. I'm just trying to eliminate other possibilities.

Thanks !

Old 01-09-20, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
I've heard that the refrigerant in the lines can make that gurgling noise, even more so if the lines are under-charged. Instead of being gaseous form, the refrigerant is more liquid, and making noise and not doing its job.

(But I'll defer to the HVAC experts here if I'm off the mark)

Old 01-12-20, 09:57 PM
Whats the worst....it's an Apartment. It's just annoying and I like to know what makes things do what they do. Funny thing though, I've seen some of these old units being ripped out and replaced. I would't mind a new "efficient" unit.