Single hose to dual hose Portable AC conversion

Old 01-27-20, 09:14 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Single hose to dual hose Portable AC conversion

Hello, I purchased a single hose portable AC which I would like to convert to dual, so outdoor air and indoor air don't mix at all.
Indoor exhaust and outdoor exhaust are easy to tell apart, but i'm not sure about the intakes, from some search online it seems all of the portable AC have the same design.
Is my diagram correct? If I make a plywood/foam envelope and attach it to an outdoor hose will it prevent mixing of indoor and outdoor air?

Thank you.

Attached Images  
Old 01-27-20, 09:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You will just have to feel the vents yourself. A piece of toilet paper or something that makes smoke (cigarette, blown out candle) will confirm which vents suck and which blow. Then you can find which is for inside and outside air by completely blocking the intake and feeling which exhaust/blow drops in volume. In general the indoor in and out will be on the same end, in your case top; and the outdoor in and out should be on the bottom. But testing yourself will confirm.

When you create your ducting do not restrict the intake. For your outdoor loop if the round hot air exhaust is 5" try to get your intake to be 6" so there is no restriction. Try to keep your duct run as short as possible and as straight as possible. I assume you don't need to attach anything for the indoor air.

Bobjourno voted this post useful.
Old 01-27-20, 09:51 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I will do as you suggest.

Old 01-27-20, 01:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I've hacked several AC's. For something quick and dirty a cardboard box taped tightly over the grates can provide a flat surface to cut out a hole and add ducting. A bit more fancy is to measure the grill area you need to cover and make a trip to Target or Walmart and look for a plastic storage container.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: