Mini split cost

Old 02-05-20, 02:41 PM
C
Received 56 Votes on 45 Posts
Mini split cost

We are doing a major restoration of our house. I submitted a change order to our GC to install a Mitsubishi 12KBTU cool only minisplit in our master bedroom. The walls are open to the studs so it will be an easy thing to install the wiring and pipes.

My GC's proposed cost for the change order $12,000! I looked at the unit on line. Material costs would be less than $1500 including fittings and accessories.

How far out to lunch is his proposed cost? I expected to pay around $1000 for the install.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-20, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 133 Votes on 117 Posts
I have wires a few mini-splits and I have always been surprised how much they cost. The prices you find online are not "real world" prices. That said I think $12K sounds a bit high. $5-6K is about the going rate in my area.

The walls being open do not really help in the install of a mini-split other than getting the wiring installed for the condenser. I recommend getting other bids.

Old 02-06-20, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
I agree that there is not much of an advantage having the unit installed during construction when the cost is so high.
Don't forget that when you request a change order it has to go through several hands.
Get a price from an air conditioning company after the house is built.

Old 02-06-20, 08:31 AM
C
Greg - The change order goes through one hand - my GC. According to him, installing it now with the walls open was his idea, the advantage of installing now is that everything can be buried in a wall with no need for installing an external protective cover over the lines.or having the cover running up the side of the house

My point was if the material costs are less than $2000 and labor one or two man days, how can a $12,000 cost proposal be anything but a ripoff? I told him today that I was going to get it installed by a HVAC guy outside of our contract. He was not happy.

Old 02-06-20, 08:46 AM
J
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
When installing there only needs to be about a 3" hole through the wall to the outside, there is no wiring's or pipes ran through the stud bays, just through that one hole through the wall.
The outside unit is all plumbed and wired on the outside wall.
I paid less then 1/2 of what you where quoted and mine also has heat.
I installed mine by myself except connecting the line set.
I for sure would not buy one with just A/C.
My gas bill was $300.00 a month in the winter for heat, just using the mini split my total power bill for heat and lights is now $75.00 max.

Old 02-06-20, 08:54 AM
J
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
Just having to drill a couple of holes does not justify that up charge.
I tried running the lines through the walls like that in huge addition we built for a customer one time.
#1, I made it a nightmare to insulate the stud bay.
#2, I found out real quick just how much moisture formed on the line set and drain line.
All the lines had to be insulated.

Old 02-06-20, 09:43 AM
H
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Agree with all on installing post construction. I got a Mitsubishi 2 head 20,000 btu installed in 2nd story bedrooms for $6,400 in 2014. I did the electrical, but otherwise turnkey with HVAC contractor. IMO your GC wants to cut a fat hog.

Old 02-06-20, 11:41 AM
C
Joe - We have not heated our MBR in the 35 years that we have lived there. We like sleeping in a cold room - although we have cheated a little on the way below freezing nights by using a mattress heater. However, we are tired of humping a window AC unit up from the basement every year. Although I agree after reading these posts that maybe my GC's idea of installation before the walls are closed up is not such a good idea. I think I'll defer to whatever HVAC guy does the install.

I also agree about the fat hog and this is not the first instance.

Old 02-06-20, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
Well, it could potentially go through 3 hands.
A general contractor does not usually install airconditioning.
The mechanical contractor would do that and many mechanical contractors farm out the installation.
Many plumbing firms do mechanical contracting but don't have refrigeration trades people on staff.

Old 02-07-20, 11:31 AM
C
Following up - I got an E-mail today from the GC restoring our house. He's the one that quoted $12K for the minisplit install. He apologized saying that he had priced the wrong system (even though I had provided a specific manufacturer and model number with my proposed change order). His new quote - $3500 which I think is very reasonable.

My guess is that he threw the first quote against the wall just to see if it would stick.