Lyric t5 wiring conundrum

Old 02-25-20, 10:03 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lyric t5 wiring conundrum

Hi,
I'm really hoping for some clarification. I bought the lyric t5 thermostat and after taking a picture of the old thermostats wiring I'm not sure where the white wire should be connected on the t5. I cant seem to figure out how to upload a picture but on the old thermostat the white wire was in a terminal marked "o". I put it in the "ob" on the t5 and heat on notification is on the thermostat but the heat isnt actually turning on. When looking at other pictures of the t5 wiring online white wires are generally in the "w" terminal but moving it there did not seem to help either. Though I may not have given it long enough to kick on before I gave up and switched it back to the "ob" or neither of those us correct and it should be in the w2 aux terminal. That one also seems a plausible choice. I really hope someone can help despite my lack of photos. or perhaps could help me with the uploading process if pics are necessary.

Old 02-26-20, 05:36 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
If the white wire was on O then yes, it needs to be on the O/B connector of the T5.
Did you configure the T5 telling it that you have a "heat pump"?

Old 02-26-20, 06:25 AM
W
Yes I tried to configure it but I'm not sure I got all the options correct I chose heat pump and then it asked if it was o/b cool or o/b heat and I chose heat then it asked if it was air to air or something else that I can't remember but I chose air to air, it asked several things that I just wasn't sure of the answer during the configuration process.
it is turning on and air is coming out but the air is cold not warm.

Old 02-26-20, 08:34 AM
W
Ok looks like default setting is o/b on cool so I went with that and it's working hooray!!
other than choosing heat pump I stuck with the defaults the rest of the way through configuration. If there is any reason that would not be the case that could apply to me please do enlighten me.
my system is a fairly typical rooftop h vac unit with heat pump. Only have a singe unit for the house. Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-26-20, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's hard to help you as we don't know what you had for stat connections or what exactly your system is.
You have a heat pump...... do you have back up electric heat ?
That is very important and there will be a programming change needed.

Old 02-26-20, 03:30 PM
W
Whether there is back up heat is something I do not know. My knowledge about the unit on my roof is not extensive. This is something that frustrated me quite a lot about trying to set this up on my own. The information about this thermostat touts how easy it is to install and I should think that would include the configuration as well. I doubt that many folks like myself know that much about the heating and cooling equipment in their homes and this knowledge seems important if you want to make sure it's set up and functioning correctly. I am fairly sure at this point it is in fact functioning properly. I certainly hope so. Besides climbing onto my roof is there an easy way to verify what kind of unit I've got?

Old 02-26-20, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
We recognize systems by how the old thermostat was wired.
Most members post a picture of their old thermostat wired along with the model number and we can usually figure it out.

Old 02-28-20, 12:01 PM
W
Yeah that was one of the issues I posted about in the original post. Couldn't seem to figure out how to upload photos. Only option looks for a url that I could see.

Old 02-28-20, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
At the top of each forum is instructions for posting pictures. Sort of archaic.
How-to-insert-pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: