Multi zone mini splits on one condenser

Old 03-03-20, 12:33 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multi zone mini splits on one condenser

Hello all. Quick question that perhaps someone can help me with. Im looking to put 3 indoor units on one side of my house. 15k btu downstairs, 7k and 9k btu units in two bedrooms upstairs. I understand that mini splits modulate. The thing I dont understand is minimum output of the condenser. The condenser I was looking at is rated 24k btu. I know that if all these units are on full blast it wont be the best performance. I see a minimum btu output of the condenser is 10k as per manufacturer specs. What happens if I turn off the 15k and 9k unit? Will the 7k run by itself off that large condenser or will it cause an issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-20, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
With a minimum of 10K, anything less than that could cause a problem. Is the condenser you are considering made to have multiple zones?

Old 03-03-20, 12:56 PM
H
Thanks for the reply Grady. Yes, I was looking into the LG multi flex units. I guess putting a big evaporator mixed with small ones on two separate floors of the house is a no go. It never dawned on me to look into the minimum output of the condenser until today.

Old 03-03-20, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 732 Votes on 687 Posts
You may want to consider two condensers. One for the first floor and one for the second floor.

Old 03-04-20, 08:36 AM
H
I just donít know why they would sell the 7k and 15k indoor units as a package with one condenser if it cant run properly with only the 7k unit running by itself. I planned on putting a condenser on each side of the house and running multiple splits off each but I guess its back to the drawing board.