Indoor coils keep icing over

Old 03-20-20, 07:23 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Indoor coils keep icing over

Earlier today I noticed some water in the garage, I knew right away it was coming from the indoor AC unit. Pulled the filter, clean, replaced not long ago, but shining a light up from the bottom I could see the coils iced over.

I took the cover off (after shutting off the power) and inspected the coils, visually the top side looked fine but underneath was fairly dirty. Some rust on the sides, but overall ok. I cleaned them off, let it defrost fully and turned things back on. The temperature coming from the vents was reading about 60F, ambient temperature was 79F today and the house had gotten to about 77F. Everything appeared to be running fine, but I noticed after a few hours the air blowing through the vents was minimal. Shut things off and sure enough, the indoor coils a block of ice again.

So, what should I check next? Or is it likely time to call a contractor to check for a leak?

Additionally, cam anyone confirm if my system uses R-22 or R-410a? a few years back had a contractor tell me it was R-22 and that the system should be replaced, looking online I am finding conflicting information, maybe the refrigerant type changed over the years? It's a Trane 2TGB indoor unit and a Trane XR13 outdoor unit, about 12 years old now. I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-20, 11:08 PM
Received 242 Votes on 229 Posts
Frozen AC coils are caused by refrigerant leaks.

Old 03-21-20, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
...........or a lack of airflow across the evaporator coil.
Make sure the fan is clean and turning in the right direction.
Also make sure the filter is clean and that the coil is not dirty and that there is no blockage in the airflow.
After this it then you could have a refrigerant leak or another problem with the refrigeration system.

Old 03-21-20, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 761 Votes on 715 Posts
Trane XR-13 is a trade name...... not a model number.

According to Trane information.... the XR-13 is a heat pump using R-410A refrigerant.