Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Compressor wire connection studs broke... reapairable? If not, can I replace?

Old 03-27-20, 10:11 PM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

Model: RRGG - 10E37JKR

When I inspected the compressor, one of the wires had fallen off, and the stud on the compressor was missing. When I tried to remove another one of the existing wires, that stud pulled out as well.

Any way to repair this, or no?

If not, can I replace the compressor? I can't make out the entire label... all I can see is what looks like ZR40K and maybe a PF.

Here is the label from the side of the unit:

Tough spot here, because it's for my mom who just gets one SS check since my dad passed, and she has a little savings, but not much. I'd rather not have to buy a whole new unit... but at the same time, this one is 27 years old (except I put a new $100 fan on it last year, as well as a few parts for the gas heater side recently).

If it can be replaced, and is a project I could handle, yeah I'd prefer to do that, to save money.

I know they are changing the r-22 stuff, so I'm not sure how that factors into the equation. I'm going to assume that I cant just drop an r-410 compressor into an r22 system... correct?

So assuming the compressor can't be repaired, are my options here either replace with an r-22 compressor, or upgrade to an r-410 system?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-27-20, 10:31 PM
R
Received 109 Votes on 103 Posts
That compressor cannot be repaired. And since the terminals blew out (very dangerous thing to happen) you no longer have any refrigerant left either.
At that age your best investment is a new air conditioner.
Youíll need specialized tools to either replace the compressor or replace the system. And refrigerant is federally controlled, you must be licensed to work with it.

tiresharkdbb voted this post useful.
Old 03-27-20, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,323 Votes on 1,223 Posts
That compressor is beyond wiped out. It's rotted thru.
You're not going to be able to replace that compressor yourself. Needs specialized equipment. That scroll compressor is pretty expensive too. On a 27 year old system..... the condenser and the A coil should both be replaced.

Compressor

Old 03-27-20, 11:09 PM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ugh.

Ok. Well, thanks for the replies.

I was hoping I might could just sweat/unsweat some fittings and have someone come fill it up... but maybe it's not that cut and dry.

Guess I'll have to start thinking about having someone come out and give an estimate.

If anyone knows of any cost cutting corners here, i'm all ears.

Thanks again.

Old 03-27-20, 11:15 PM
R
Received 109 Votes on 103 Posts
You’d have almost $1,000 just in the compressor itself.
Then leak testing, evacuation, refrigerant, dealing with the acid that likely formed when the terminals went, plus labor for the tech to deal with refrigerant, you’d quickly have at least $2,000-$3,000 into a 30 year old unit. Likely more.
Maybe check around your community, churches and community help centers sometimes can assist in finding help.
Just don’t cut cost and wind up in a hole with new equipment. Such as buying it online and then hiring someone to install it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: