Contactor Hookups

Old 03-30-20, 08:09 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Contactor Hookups

Hello:

I would like to replace a contactor in my Bryant AC that is going bad according to my HVAC Pro. I've found an exact replacement online and it arrived today. Actually it looks exactly the same but has higher ratings. Higher FLA, LRA, and Res. It's a single pole.

I've noticed that the contactor has L1, L2, T1, T2. All my research says L! and L2 are the Line In. The wire from my breaker box next to my AC connects to L1 & L2.

I'm confused because my current contactor has those lines hooked to T1 and T2. I'm the original owner of the AC and this part has never been replaced. It's been running fine for over 6 years. The Shunt bus bar is on the right and the wires from the breaker box come up from the bottom and connect to T1 and T2.

Do I wire up exactly the same or invert the contactor and hook the Line In's to L1 & L2 ?
Does it really make a difference?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-20, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 702 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

With the majority of most contactors..... interchanging the L (lines) for the T (loads) is not a problem.
I would recommend keeping the shunt bar on the same side.... L1/T1 or L2/T2.

Old 04-06-20, 12:13 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much. I was able to replace and everything working great. The part was $13.00.

My HVAC company was doing their annual inspection, felt the contacts were getting a little corroded, and recommended replacing soon.

Cost was going to be $327. I know HVAC folks and companies have to make a living but I don't understand these enormous prices for $13 parts and 10 minutes of work. Same for my Run capacitor I replaced for $12 in 5 minutes. I think they wanted near $200 for that job. They are already out here and I know they carry these basic parts in their trucks.

Thanks again.