What's a TXV and should it take this long to fix?

Old 05-05-20, 08:47 AM
B
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
What's a TXV and should it take this long to fix?

Hi all. I have no clue about these systems. Had a brand new trane high efficiency AC unit installed maybe 5 years ago. Cost me over $11k. Have a maintenance plan on it. I like the local technicians. They came out to service it the other day and said the TXV is having issues. Has to do with the efficiency. Part is covered under warranty so only labor. The labor cost is way higher than I was expecting. 2 technicians for 3-4 hours.

My questions
1) is this something I should take seriously. I want to invest to keep this unit in good shape.

2) does that labor time sound right?

Old 05-05-20, 10:42 AM
A
Received 83 Upvotes on 75 Posts
What kind of issues?

Why 2 techs? Does one do the coffee and donut runs? The time is reasonable.

Old 05-05-20, 11:54 AM
B
He just said it wasnt performing which would impact the efficiency of the unit. Labor estimates at $975 yikes

Old 05-05-20, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
I too want to know why it takes two people to change a TXV. Unless this is a heat pump & the bad TXV is outside, I don' t know why it would take 3-4 hours to change.

Old 05-06-20, 05:22 AM
B
Ok thanks al . I need to get some other quotes then.

Old 05-06-20, 08:10 AM
A
Received 83 Upvotes on 75 Posts
Not necessarily quotes. If it takes two to swap a TXV then odds are good that they misdiagnosed it. You may not have any problem at all or you may have a problem elsewhere.

Old 05-07-20, 09:52 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your systems were installed about the time Trane and other manufactures were adding a corrosion inhibitor into the system that are giving TXV's problems with sticking. There is a Trane procedure to inject a lube that seems to help some of them. I was told that the corrosion inhibitor was added by the compressor manufacture but I can not swear by that.

Old 05-08-20, 08:40 AM
B
Ok so what do I do? Bring in another company to look at it?

Old 05-08-20, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At a very minimum, I would question your service company about why two people & why so long. Even with vacuuming the system, I wouldn't think it would take over 2; tops 3 hours.

Old 05-08-20, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
said the TXV is having issues. Has to do with the efficiency. Part is covered under warranty so only labor. The labor cost is way higher than I was expecting. 2 technicians for 3-4 hours.

You have to get educated.. Whats the TXV doing? IMO its probably fine.. HVAC guys (some) have no morals..

Whats your sub cooling temp?
Whats your superheat?

what specifically are they telling you?????

Post make and model of indoor and outdoor unit. Once we get those we can see what specs are and compare to what the tech is telling you.. Most HVAC guys are not too truthful to the uneducated. ( not all)

Just my opinion though

Old 05-08-20, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Old 05-08-20, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lawrosa is absolutely right. I got so involved in the cost issue. I completely overlooked the question of is the TXV actually bad.

Old 05-13-20, 08:51 AM
B
OK thanks this is all awesome guidance. So here's some more info.

My system was installed in May 2014, 6 years ago this month.
Make and model:
Indoor unit: Trane XV95 4TXCB004CC3HCBA
Outdoor unit: Trane 4TTB6036A1000AA

BTW this is the unit just for my 2nd floor. My house is about 4,500 sqf. When I purchased this back in 2014 the advice I received from the folks here was this unit was oversized for just one floor. I got some other quotes and they all came back with the same sized unit. I wonder if this is part of the problem?

The tech seemed pretty young to me. He said the "TXV is failing". I'm waiting for more details but he did leave a note on the checkup sheet attached as follows: "TXV is failing. 35 degrees SH, 24 degrees SC"

Hope that means something. Sounds like an upper and lower bound or something.

I let the company know I think the labor sounds high for replacing a TXV. We'll see what they say.

Old 05-13-20, 10:53 AM
B
Additional notes to add to the above. Heard back from the company and this is what they said:

"The TXV is shot and requires replacement. The technician will be there for at least 3 hours. It's a part being replaced as part of the refrigeration system. We have to pressure test and put the vacuum pump on which is the majority of the time for this repair."

So sounds like its the testing which takes up the most time, as compared to the actual installation?

Old 05-13-20, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
What is your system doing? Not cooling?

Sub cool is high. should be 10f for that trane. a 3 ton unit..

Need to test sub cool on a hot day is ideal.
it can dictate blockage, but maybe just the filter dryer is plugged.. We would need the temp spread across that.
Can be overcharged.. techs often overcharge systems because of high pressures on their gauges.
Superheat will tell you the charge. 35SH id have to know the wet bulb and #'s he calculated with. Indoor outdoor temps etc..

Im a plumber so not 100% well versed in AC and heat pumps. But I know enough that those guys will not rip me off.

I would get a second opinion from another company.

And that TXV should carry a 10 year warranty if the unit was registered properly. I registered my own heat pump because I could not rely on installer to do it... Its 5 years not registered and 10 years if you register it.. Thats for parts only not labor..

Old 05-16-20, 10:02 AM
B
Funny. So I've called a bunch of places and every one of them (except one) wants to come out and charge me for the call just to give me an estimate. I said 'what if I just tell you the part that needs to be replaced, could you give me a ballpark?' Oh man you would've thought I just asked them for a brand new unit installed free of charge. 'oh no, we cant do that. we have to come out'. Finally found a local place who had no problem. Scheduled a free estimate for Monday AM. So will feel more confident then. And if I like this guy I'm happy to switch my loyalty. I spend $700 a year on service plans with my current company. I'll let everyone know what happpens.

Old 05-16-20, 05:28 PM
S
Received 11 Upvotes on 11 Posts
"Scheduled a free estimate for Monday AM."

Just be cautious, there's rarely such a thing as a "free" ___________!!!

Old 05-16-20, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,324 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
A free estimate is just coming out and visually checking over the system.
I would not expect any test equipment to be involved with a free estimate.

Old 05-18-20, 08:11 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
I bet the free estimate will generate an expensive proposal.

Old 05-18-20, 09:31 AM
B
Yep. It was free. He did come out but did not actually do anything except look at what I have inside and out. Said he would check the levels outside. Expecting some sort of estimate now. But he did agree it was a big job. We shall see.

PS - so what's gonna happen in the meantime? Is this something that will slowly cause the system's cooling abilities to decay? or is it immediate and could happen at any time?

Old 05-25-20, 05:47 AM
S
Received 11 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Any update? Diagnosis, cost?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: