Using A/C Unit to dehumidify

Old 05-10-20, 08:13 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using A/C Unit to dehumidify

I've got an apartment which is a little humid. I don't know what the number is, but I'm getting something to measure it. I use the bathroom fan, but its just a humid area.

Is it reasonable to try and dehumidify the apt. by turning the A/C off (letting the apt get very hot and then cooling it down again) and/or to increase the A/C to a colder temperature and let it warm up? The idea being to cycle the a/c unit a bit more. Any difference between the two?

I don't go out too much so it is on all the time. No real problem except that it can be hard to evaporate water off dishes and the sink. I don't want to invest in a dehumidifier because its a rental and besides no place to put it.

Old 05-10-20, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
you need to get the ac to stay on longer.. often it involves slowing the fan speed down.. Your ac may be cycling too often as most are oversize. Its not on long enough to get the moisture out.

Old 05-10-20, 02:04 PM
U
I looked at the fan unit and it says it has a high speed and low speed modes, configured low speed from the factory. I'd have to open it up even to see which it is set at. Plus that does raise some issues, what if the temperature rises to 100-120 (currently 80-82 on average), then maybe it is needed. Maybe the humidity will decrease as the temperature goes up - from what you say the unit will run more. Likewise, the unit will run more if I set it to a lower temperature or if I leave it off and let the room get hot.

I set the thermostat to 60 F (was 72 F) and in 2-3 hours still haven't got down below 66.

Also, how does such a solution (turning the fan down, as you say) affect the electrical usage?

Old 05-10-20, 02:17 PM
Received 647 Upvotes on 572 Posts
Is it reasonable to try and dehumidify the apt. by turning the A/C off (letting the apt get very hot and then cooling it down again) and/or to increase the A/C to a colder temperature and let it warm up?
Maybe I misunderstand you. But A/C does in fact dehumidify. Not as an efficient dehumidifier might be. Turning it off then back on will not help. Lets establish some basics first. Is this A/C a window unit, a standalone unit or central? Where does the condensate go? and do you know why the home is so humid? Is it just the environment and location or is there some other source that is adding moisture the home air?

Old 05-11-20, 02:56 AM
U
Unit is a heat pump system. There is a condenser outside and a AHU inside. The condensation goes out through a drain pipe.

I think there is a lot of moisture added from cooking. There is only a recirculating vent for the cooking. Nothing that I can do about that other than cook less. Bathroom has a vent fan to the outside.

Old 05-11-20, 07:08 AM
A
Received 83 Upvotes on 75 Posts
If not humid outside then open the windows. If it is humid outside then don't run the bathroom fan more than needed as it sucks make up air from the outside. Also keep the bathroom door closed.

Old 05-13-20, 09:28 PM
U
Got a device for measuring humidity. The indoor humidity is 49-52%. Outdoor humidity at 10:30 pm is 89%. I think daytime is 40-50%.

50% is reasonable/borderline max indoor from what I can find, but I aired out last weekend, I'll see if it climbs up slowly.

I checked the fan, it has some notes about "fast mode". Its hard to read schematic, but looks like it is in factory-default regular mode.

Old 05-14-20, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
50% or lower is ideal hmidity in summer time..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: