Installing A Window AC Unit

Old 05-22-20, 07:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing A Window AC Unit

I've gotten a window unit I'd like to install, but I'm not very knowledgeable about these sorts of things. I also think I have a weird window and am looking for ways to deal with it. I've attached pictures of the window unit and window in question. I also don't know any of the terminology for windows, so I'll try my best. Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions!

My window has a normal window sill, then a tiny little platform section before a lip. The tiny little platform section seems way to small for the bottom of the AC unit to rest on. None the less, I try to set it on this tiny platform section. When I line things up such that the window closes on the upper lip of the AC unit itself, the accordion panels don't seem to lineup correctly. They align perfectly with the left and right side of the window, but there's several millimetres of space between the sliding portion of the window and the frame of the accordion panel. This leaves a big hole exposed to the outdoors, which suggests I did something wrong.

Assuming I can work through this issue I have another question. Once the unit is installed, it's recommend by the instructions to drill holes in the frame for brackets to keep the slider firmly pressed on the unit. Instead of drilling holes (it's Vinyl, so I think this is a bad idea?), is there perhaps a common clamp or stick that fits into the tracks of the window I can use? I'm not quite sure if what I'm looking for exists, but if it does any names of items would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Images   
Old 05-22-20, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,324 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Installing window A/C's can be a challenge in some windows. You will more than likely to use pieces of wood to build up the area below the A/C so that it's a large enough area for the unit to sit on.

After you are all done you can use two pieces of wood between the top of the lower window to the top of the frame. You need to make sure these can't be easily removed because if they are.... the A/C can fall out.

Make sure when you install the accordions... the inside edge that meets at the A/C needs to slide down in a track first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: