Toshiba portable A/C: over-condensating

Old 05-25-20, 02:11 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toshiba portable A/C: over-condensating

Let me start by saying I have limited knowledge of air conditioning units, though I can often perform small repairs on devices I'm unfamiliar with, given guidance. I have a Toshiba RAC-PD1011CRU mobile AC unit that we use between the living room and bedroom. Last summer when we first got the unit, we managed to go about two months or so without draining the lower drip pan; it never caused a problem. Last week, we hooked the unit up in the living room, and about three hours in on the first day, the unit went into a status "P1" which means, according to the manual, you need to drain the pan. I did, and went about my business. Three hours later, same deal. Odd, we never did this last year. Long story short, it's filling up about a quart of condensate every few hours, whereas last year, it did not function this way. The temperatures are no hotter, it's in the same location, so I have no idea what's different.

So my question is, is this a reasonable amount of condensation to expect, and last year seems unusual, or is there something I need to do to the unit to get this to a more manageable amount of liquid
? (note, the unit has a dehumidifier setting, but the above all relates to the cool setting only; we do not use it as a dehumidifier).

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-20, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 823 Votes on 773 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A typical A/C can generate a lot of condensation based on room humidity. Most window units have a slinger on the outside fan that throws the condensate water up onto the condenser coil. This serves to help cool the unit as well as to reduce the amount of runoff.

I believe most portable A/C's use this same slinger method to reduce the amount of residual condensation and heat. There could be high humidity in the room that will cause a higher than normal amount of condensation. This would be normal. Based on your description.... this sounds like what is happening.

The only other, problem I can think of is that the condensation is being blocked from getting to the slinger section. I looked at an exploded view of your unit but it is not clear.

Rando1000 voted this post useful.
Old 05-26-20, 05:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 476 Votes on 437 Posts
Every portable AC can produce a lot of water. They use a slinger to try and evaporate away as much as possible but it is very normal for there to be a good amount of condensate to be removed.

Rando1000 voted this post useful.
Old 05-27-20, 04:45 PM
R
It's just weird that last year we got months without a single drain and this year we can't get hours. It's got to be some sort of problem with this slinger, or perhaps some other issue. I've also heard a good cleaning might help. Gonna try that and look into the slinger issue.

Old 06-03-20, 02:32 PM
R
Unbelievable as it sounds, I seem to have solved the issue with a little cleaning. I had cleaned one of the vents, but another remained clogged. Upon cleaning it, and wiping off the compressor fins, it has now output a total of about an ounce of fluid in 3 days, and the temperature has gone up, so the compressor is actually on more than it was when the problem started.

Thanks for the suggestions.