A/C in a small window

Old 05-27-20, 10:01 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C in a small window

Hi all!

We have a room with three windows, but one leads onto a deck, so we don't want an AC unit there, and the other one offers a beautiful view. The only other window is a small one, only 19".

We have been using a portable AC unit, but it takes up a lot of space, and last year we had an issue where the condensation overflowed the bucket and buckled the floor. Enough of that!

Of course, the selection of small window AC units stinks, but I'm wondering if there's some sore of "hack". I notice that a lot of units are smaller than 19", but say they require a window opening of 25"+. What is the reason for this? Is this just to allow for the little "wings" on the side? Could a DIYer like myself just simply buy a small unit and cut/paint plywood to fit on the sides instead of using the wings?

I would try it myself, but right now because of COVID, the selection of places to buy a unit is limited, and a lot of places aren't taking returns, so I'd rather check with the pros on here before I spend my money.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-20, 04:36 PM
C
Nobody?

This is the first time I posted a question on this site and got no answer...

Old 06-17-20, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,171 Votes on 1,086 Posts
It looks like you could fit a 5kbtu ok. Possibly a 6kbtu.
It's not just the side bellows. The framework above the A/C that contains the bellows is designed to span a certain size window and holds the unit from falling out of the window.

From an operation viewpoint.... I don't see an issue making your own mounting system.
You just need to make sure the A/C can't fall out the window.

The manufacturers can't offer an alternate mounting solution as there are too many variables to consider.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 06-18-20, 06:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
I almost never use the provided accordion stuff to fit to a window. I usually make my own out of wood and include a sheet of rigid foam for insulation. It dramatically reduces the window size needed as you just have to get the AC into the window.

When purchasing an AC pay attention to the core unit's dimensions. Also, some units are box shaped while others vary in height by several inches from front to back.

Old 06-18-20, 11:34 AM
Yeah I usually just build my own mounting system instead of using what comes with it. Anyway, it doesn't fit the window correctly and leaves gaps. So I always have to make something that works better so I don't get an influx of bugs and water coming in.