How can I turn an old split ac outdoor unit into a water tank chiller?

Old 05-28-20, 04:10 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow How can I turn an old split ac outdoor unit into a water tank chiller?

I have seen a video with no details about someone who turned an old outdoor unit to cool the water in an evaporative cooler. they submerged the copper pipe that carry the refrigerant inside the water, here is the video.

how can I achieve that in my central evaporative cooler, which looks very similar to the one in the video?

I have an old 18k split system and I have 2meter copper pipe and a refrigerant tank. what I don't understand is what do I do with the wiring and the indoor unit.

moderator note: member location Saudi Arabia

Last edited by PJmax; 05-28-20 at 10:01 AM.

Top Answer

06-02-20, 05:38 AM
GregH
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Ok.
An evaporative cooler works on the basis of evaporating water which will absorb heat as it evaporates.
If you were to cool the water that is suppose to evaporate it will cool less because the water has to warm up to be able to evaporate.
What would work is if you cool the water with an airconditioner and spray it on people with a sprinkler rather trying to evaporate it.

Old 06-02-20, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Ok.
An evaporative cooler works on the basis of evaporating water which will absorb heat as it evaporates.
If you were to cool the water that is suppose to evaporate it will cool less because the water has to warm up to be able to evaporate.
What would work is if you cool the water with an airconditioner and spray it on people with a sprinkler rather trying to evaporate it.

chene, PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 05-28-20, 07:12 AM
L
Received 177 Upvotes on 152 Posts
I have no idea what that video is about, but that unit in the video looks like a roof top unit. That is not a outdoor unit, but a package unit that has both inside and outside unit of household central AC system.

I don't quiet understand what you are trying to cool. Evaporative cooler uses evaporating vapor (usually water) to cool the condenser or air. I don't see any reason to use another AC to cool this water.

chene voted this post useful.
Old 05-29-20, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

What you propose to do on the surface looks like a good idea but in practice would be pointless.
An evaporative cooler works on the principle that as water evaporates it removes heat from the air.
It is the act of evaporation that removes heat and trying to used chilled water to do this might lower the air temperature a minuscule amount, it would slow down the evaporative effect of the water ,cancelling each other out.

What would work is to use that mechanical air conditioner to work as designed by circulating air through the evaporator coil.

Old 05-29-20, 08:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
Here's a crazy idea. Why not use the air conditioner to help cool the air inside the house instead of hacking it apart to cool water sitting outside in the sun.

Old 05-29-20, 10:01 AM
L
Received 177 Upvotes on 152 Posts
what are the steps so i can use an old split system to cool water in 60L tank by submerging the copper pipes into the tank?
Submerge evaporator coil (inside unit) inside tank holding water.

There is no way to cool if you only have outside condenser unit.

Old 05-29-20, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
people have reported huge improvements when they used this exact method.
I don't think we can help you.
The the benefit of your idea escapes me and I do HVAC for a living.

You really need to consult those who you are referring to in the above quote.

Old 05-29-20, 06:05 AM
C
the climate here is merciless in the summer and for several years people have reported huge improvements when they used this exact method.
what if we forget the evaporative cooler part. what are the steps so i can use an old split system to cool water in 60L tank by submerging the copper pipes into the tank?

Old 06-02-20, 03:06 AM
C
Submerge evaporator coil (inside unit) inside tank holding water.
so i take the evaporator coil from the indoor unit and put it inside the tank, and connect it with copper tubes to the outdoor unit. but what about the rest of the indoor unit? i don't need the blower but what about the sensor and the controller (in this ac its not a remote control but a wired one)?

Old 06-02-20, 03:13 AM
C
The the benefit of your idea escapes me and I do HVAC for a living.
when the water that goes inside the pads is very cold, the air out of the central swamp cooler will be cold too.

Old 06-02-20, 03:41 AM
C
Here's a crazy idea. Why not use the air conditioner to help cool the air inside the house instead of hacking it apart to cool water sitting outside in the sun.
a 18k split system will only cool a small room. a central swamp cooler, even without what i'm trying to do here, can reduce the temperature in the entire 2 floor house.

Old 06-02-20, 10:39 PM
C
the colder the water the better performance the cooler will be, you can see the results here, that's why many companies that sell evaporative coolers include free ice packs in the package like this model and this, but its impractical to keep changing the ice packs every day and freeze them again, even if you have a backup. also i imagine the split outdoor unit will outperform those ice packs in a large tank.

Old 06-03-20, 06:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
Every single person has said your idea is not a sound plan and explained why. Do you continue to post trying to convince us or do you have a question we can help you with?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: