Central ac ?

Old 06-04-20, 03:48 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central ac ?

Hi all,
question on central ac. I have a two story house with two bedrooms on 2nd floor. If I want to not cool the upper bedrooms so 1st floor gets cooler better how do I best do that. I closed the dampers in the basement that allows the cold air to go up to the two rooms. I am assuming I need to close off the cold air returns in each room so the furnace doesnít pull the hot air out of the rooms. Does this make sense. If so I will need to make some covers for these. Thx

Old 06-04-20, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
If that is a central gas furnace with A/C added on...... the returns are probably low on the wall.
If so..... no need to block them off.

Old 06-05-20, 12:03 AM
Received 1,057 Likes on 959 Posts
If your not putting air into a room then it will not flow out, it's a balancing act!

Old 06-05-20, 04:52 AM
Received 646 Likes on 571 Posts
You don't need to do anything. Typically with whole house A/C the second floor will not get nearly a s cool as the first floor. Don't do anything until you live with it for several months. Then if you still want the upper floor warmer than it will be, then just dampen (but do not completely block) the ducts. Don't block the cool air returns.

You do realize you are very much in the minority. Most people will do anything to get their upper floors cool. Especially the bedrooms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: