12000 btu freon window ac needs charge. Possible?

Old 06-09-20, 11:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
12000 btu freon window ac needs charge. Possible?

Im 99% sure My 8 year old 12000btu window a/c needs a charge, but it takes freon, which is obviously not available.

The thermostat works fine, the compressor comes on when cooling is called for and creates negative pressure (there is a charge valve I can hook into) but there is no change in the condenser coil temperature.
For the last year or two it seemed to take longer and longer to cool the space. I believe a refridgerant charge (+sealant) would fix what i believe is a slow leak, but it takes old fashioned freon, and thats obviously not available.

Is there any way to replace it with a legal and enviormentally friendly coolant?

I promise to call a licensed and qualified repair shop who will recover any residual freon, I just want to protect my wallet by being an informed consumer. Is it possible and what would that entail?

Old 06-10-20, 12:29 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As I understand 407c is the best replacement for freon (r22) , but i cant buy less than 5lb (unit takes 27oz r22), ll have to cut out the cmpressor to drain the mineral oil and replace it with a synthetic, and ill never get a good sweat on the flimsy copper they shove into a window unit, and even if i can, Ill have to pull a vacuum before I recharge..

So unless there is something about the number and order of operations im missing .. it seems to me i should just spend the $400+ for a new unit.. if a DIY includes 60 oz min refrigerant at ~$200 plus a trip to plumbing supply, synthetic oil, vacuum pump and a full day of wrestling parts... and a skilled repair would probably cost me more than a new one, i should just bite the bullet and replace it.

What are your thoughts?

Old 06-10-20, 06:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,706 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I have tried a couple times having mobile (window, portable...) AC recharged. I've never had one last more than a year after being recharged. After all, refilling is only fixing the symptom. It doesn't solve the original problem of why the refrigerant leaked out in the first place.

Old 06-10-20, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,326 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
I work on the occasional unit from a friend or family member. The typical problem is a leaking evaporator coil. It's aluminum and it corrodes. There is no way to effectively fix it without causing more damage. I've tried a few times but usually the leak just gets bigger.

Old 06-10-20, 08:46 PM
Received 73 Upvotes on 68 Posts
An 8 year old AC will be using R410A not R22 as R22 was banned in new devices starting 2010. Anyway it is usually not possible and/or cost effective to try and fix a window AC. Sorry to say but time to go get another one

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: