Servicing in window air conditioner (Freon)

Old 06-11-20, 10:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Servicing in window air conditioner (Freon)

Hi,

I recently bought at a garage sale a small in window air conditioner for use in my live in camper van.

The unit powers on and the compressor pumps, but after having it on for 15 minutes the air was just slightly cooler (the guy said it worked so maybe it used to)

It is a Haier hwf05xC6 and it uses hcfc-22.

I have dabbled in air conditioning a little and I have full commercial gauges and a vacuum pump.

My questions are, and I'm not looking for the by the book ideal, but rather will it work...

I want to remove the oil in the compressor and put top quality synthetic in the crankcase. How would I remove the oil? I can solder and braze if that's required. I want to use the top quality oil I can get and do it right. Or use gear oil because of how sulfur protects metal. Lol!

The second question is, is it possible to use automotive refrigerant? I know refrigerants have different viscosities and need different pumps/pressures/flow rates to be effective. Obviously I don't want it to cool just a few degrees cooler than ambient as I live in Arizona. I don't want to buy a whole can of expensive Freon either, if I don't have to.

I bought a 12 pack of bullet piercing valves and already took one apart to see how they work. Before I found out about them I wanted to braze a connection on the piping somewhere but this seems a lot easier. The valves are each adaptable to 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 tubing.

There are a few in window or in room air conditioners that have slowly blown warmer and warmer that i would like to service and get back to operating condition. To save money and learn how to possibly help others who may be struggling.

Old 06-12-20, 06:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
I bought the 5'000 btu AC for my trailer, new for $60 at the end of season last year. I would not go to the expense and labor of trying to recharge a window AC.

I have had it done a couple times and in each case the AC worked for less than a year. If your AC lost it's refrigerant then you need to find the leak. Without doing that your new refrigerant will just leak out. Since window AC's are not designed to be serviced they don't have the valves to charge them. I've added clamp on piercing valves but suspect them as a leak source.

Drangd voted this post useful.
Old 06-13-20, 02:04 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I feel you, you're probably right, but I want to try. I haven't found too many air conditioners that are this small.

Old 06-13-20, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,325 Votes on 1,225 Posts
Unfortunately we can't help you much further as charging practices and procedures are not allowed on this DIY site. R-22 is also not available to the general public and needs to be purchased by an EPA certified tech.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: