Will I need to replace HeatPump lines???

Old 06-14-20, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Will I need to replace HeatPump lines???

HI,
I currently have 5/8" and 3/8" copper lines in my split heat pump setup.

a new 410a system is spec'd to have 3/4" and 3/8" lines.

Is it OK to use what I have?

My current setup is a 1.5T condenser downstairs out front and a 2 ton handler in my laundry room, the condo is on the second/top floor.

I am going to have the system replaced very soon and the thought of having the current lines replaced is making my head spin.

New system may be 1.5T or 2T preferably with Variable spd fan set up to dehumidify a little more..
Professionally installed by licensed HVAC guy.

This is from a book, the bottom one is from a manual....

Old 06-15-20, 10:35 AM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The page from your "book" what refrigerant is it based on? I have never gone against the manufactures specs when installing a/c equipment. I would double check your new equipment specs on the size of the lines. When I put my new equipment in I neglected to read the part about distance. I did reuse the old lines and based on the distance chart I lost a bit of cooling due to the distance. I took my equipment out of service and flushed the lines. I would never use lines that had a burn out of the compressor.
Baffles me why you have mismatched equipment. I have seen larger condensers and smaller air handlers, which was done for humidity control. But not the other way.

Old 06-15-20, 11:07 AM
The charts were for 410a systems.
The problem that was brought up was that my current system is R22, but I need it replaced. The new specs for the 410a systems say 3/4" suction lines. My existing ones are 5/8". I live in a seond floor vaulted ceiling condo, and replacing those lines would be a holy hell of a project and very expensive... possibly requiring access through my neighbors ceiling or my floor. Furthermore the 4 foot brick face was recently replaced and the cost was very high. A conduit outside going to the attic over my unit on the face of the bldg would be out of the question. (Compressor in front of bld, Evap in my laundry room near back wall.

Old 06-15-20, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,326 Upvotes on 2,985 Posts
What did your installer say ? He should know his equipment.

Old 06-15-20, 11:47 PM
Most did not even bring it up. They are recommending units that take 7/8" suction lines. I watched them work... they did not seem to check the lines. One or two brought it up and said the lines might have to be re-run. One said I would have to go with Carrier most likely because they are the only ones whose specs for a 2 ton was 5.8".
So to answer your question: Some said yes, some said no.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: