charging/using OLD mini split system

Old 06-14-20, 01:07 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
charging/using OLD mini split system

Hi all.

I have a room adjacent to the garage in which I 95% installed a hitachi mini split ac system over 15 years ago. I ran the copper tubing myself (and insulated the cold line) installed the indoor unit with the drain and installed the condenser outside. A month ago, I finally hooked up the last 6" of electricity to the indoor unit and i was happy to discover that all fans worked on both indoor and outdoor units.

But no cooling. just blowing ambient air.

On the advice of a friend, I had an AC guy come out a week ago and attempt to release the coolant. He told me that the system was so old that he didn't even want to work on it and he didn't recommend using because of the now verboten R22 coolant that the system used. The coolant had never been released, so he gave it a spin and showed me how to release whatever was in the condenser unit, which I did.

Still no cooling, and no cold when he/I felt the cool copper line. So i suspect that the coolant had all dissipated in the 15 years this thing sat unused. I think he felt bad, since he left and didn't charge me for his time. (although he did send me a quote to install a new system- for $7500!! 😱 )

So my question is, can i get this thing to work on the cheap? I'd definitely prefer to not rip the entire thing out and spend 1-2k purchasing a new system, then installing. etc etc etc. If i have to I will, eventually. but really interested in the path

If a real AC guy were doing this, I understand he would pressure test the lines, then charge and go.

Can y'all educate me on the tools I'd need to do this, and perhaps some resources to learn how to do this on the cheap? (if it's even possible.) I have found R22 coolant available on eBay/etc. I'm thinking cheap stuff from harbor freight or similar as I don't anticipate doing this often, and this may be the last/only time i can ever charge this old R22 system anyway...

I'm a pretty handy dud but have never worked on AC before. Attached a pic of the sticker on the inside of the compressor unit if anyone wants more info.

Thank you all so much in advance!

hitachi AC sticker

Last edited by gdgross; 06-14-20 at 01:17 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-14-20, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I had an AC guy come out a week ago and attempt to release the coolant.
WHY ?

Refrigerant is either pumped/extracted out or added. A "tech" should not be releasing anything into the air. I'm not sure why he told you to let the refrigerant out since there is no way it can possibly cool when empty.

Unfortunately the DIY administrators do not allow threads on charging as that is only supposed to be done by an EPA certified tech and we have no way of knowing who is certified.

Old 06-14-20, 01:28 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry Pete, maybe I was unclear - i meant release the coolant that was (supposed to be) in the compressor unit into the copper tubing, not into the air! It was just an allen wrench valve twist as it turns out.

Understand about the liability, i'll look for resources elsewhere. :-)

Old 06-14-20, 01:37 PM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Unfortunately refrigerant isn’t just released into the lineset. If your friend did, without preparation, your system is likely damaged or destroyed.
With minisplits, the metering device is usually in the outdoor unit. Meaning both pipes are the “cold line”. The other pipe must be insulated as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: