Cleaning condensation line

Old 06-15-20, 11:08 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cleaning condensation line

I have a central AC unit with a 3/4" PVC condensation line that runs to the outside. I usually pour some bleach down every 30 days or so from the cap on the left side. But that only cleans the vertical pipe and downstream.

Last month the line was clogged on the short horizontal pipe, slim buildup in that pipe that required me to take the tee and 90 elbow apart.

I was wondering, is there a better way to clean that horizontal pipe? Should I cut that pipe and insert and TEE and pour bleach down that horizontal pipe instead?

What if I go to the right and remove the float switch and pour bleach down that elbow, will that run to the left side pipe or is that a bad idea?

Old 06-15-20, 11:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,339 Upvotes on 2,998 Posts
What if I go to the right and remove the float switch and pour bleach down that elbow, will that run to the left side pipe or is that a bad idea?
That is a great idea.

Shut the air handler down. Pour 1-2 cups of bleach down the right side.
Let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Flush with short amounts (2 cups) of warm water.
The idea is to flush the bleach and slime out. Several shots of warm water will dilute the bleach and flush it. If you pour all the water in at one time the slime and bleach will spread to the entire pan.

Old 06-16-20, 06:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,709 Upvotes on 1,526 Posts
I do not glue many of the fittings on condensate drain lines if it is an unfinished part of the home. Simply pressing them together is enough to prevent leaks. Then, it's easy to just pop it apart and you can clean with a brush or drain snake as needed.

Old 06-16-20, 04:39 PM
C
Received 270 Upvotes on 221 Posts
I don't know if this would work in your situation, but I had a mini split installed as part of our renovation. After running it for a day or so we noticed water running down the bedroom wall. The drain line was clogged and the drip pan overflowed. The plumber connected a shop vac to the drain line discharge, sealed it with duct tape and sucked the drain line clear.

Old 06-16-20, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Sucking the slime out with a shop vac usually works. However, the line still needs to be cleaned after that. Typically the slime builds up where the line joins the pan.

Old 06-20-20, 10:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
There is a simple and quick way to handle your issue. Drill a hole on the top of the 90 elbow and do the cleaning from the hole, tape it back after.

Old 06-20-20, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
There is a simple and quick way to handle your issue. Drill a hole on the top of the 90 elbow and do the cleaning from the hole, tape it back after.
The float is just sitting in place. In my opinion just removing that makes for the easiest cleaning access.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: