Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Trane thermostat forces either 'Hold Temperature' or a Schedule, I want neither

Old 06-22-20, 01:03 PM
M
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just want to set the temperature and be done with it.
While in "Cool" mode it resets to some high temperature (higher than the outside) and doesn't let me delete these "Hold" or "Schedule" settings.

Old 06-22-20, 08:03 PM
C
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you use 'HOLD', it should not reset. The temp should stay the same until you change it.

Old 06-23-20, 06:00 AM
Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts
Hi, what type of Stat is it ,mfg. mdl # would be helpful.
Geo

Old 06-23-20, 06:37 AM
M
Received 249 Likes on 223 Posts
Yes need more info.

Never heard of a "Trans thermostat"

Old 06-23-20, 08:01 AM
M
Sorry, i meant to write "Trane"
I can get he model but the problem with leaving it on "Hold" is I don't want to run it full bore during the day when no one's there, so ideally set it to 79 when everyone leaves and then bump it down 1-2 degrees at a time a night when everyone returns

Old 06-23-20, 08:59 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
You need programmable t-stat that allows you to set up Leave/Return/Sleep/Wake sections.
Without that, you can accomplish nothing.
Furthermore, you can get one of them NEST type t-stats. Plenty to choose form now.
If you get like a Honeywell stat, make sure to log into Installer Menu and disable Intelligent Recovery. that's about the worst BS mode I am aware of, raining $$ into electric company pockets.

Old 06-23-20, 09:08 AM
Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts
Hi, the best choice is a WIFI thermostat, I like Honeywell, only problem is you must maintain a basic internet connection, I have 2 , 1 in NH, and 1 in Fl , I control the heat in NH from Fl. and cooling in Fl. from NH.
Geo

Old 06-23-20, 09:09 AM
Received 299 Likes on 255 Posts
set it to 79 when everyone leaves and then bump it down 1-2 degrees at a time a[t] night
What you are describing is a schedule.

If you give mfg. & model # we can specifically address how to do it on your t'stat.

Generally programmable thermostats allow for 4 time periods in a 24 hour cycle. Some may provide more. You can choose whatever times you want for each period to start. (They usually are named like Morning, Leave, Return, Night but you can set them for whatever times you want.)

Also be aware that heating/cooling thermostats can have separate programs for each mode. Times and temperatures scheduled in the Heating mode will not be active in the Cooling mode. Your comment that
While in "Cool" mode it resets to some high temperature
suggests that is the case for you.

Old 06-24-20, 09:52 AM
M
I think in my case the thermostat just doesn't work. Regardless of schedule or hold if I have it set to 77 and it still reads 80 an hour later it's not working.
Not a huge deal I'm only in this place for a few more days.
Generally speaking I don't want any wifi or remote, the less technology the better. I just want to set a temperature and have it actually work. I don't care if it takes me an hour to get the temperature to where I want it, I can be doing other things during that time.
Thank you for the feedback

Old 06-24-20, 01:49 PM
T
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Regardless of schedule or hold if I have it set to 77 and it still reads 80 an hour later it's not working.

That's not the t-stat's fault, that's the system itself not working. And as others have said, if it's on HOLD mode, it's basically operating as a manual thermostat.

Old 06-24-20, 11:36 PM
M
good to know, thnks, this confirms the unit itself isn't working

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: