Need help identifying c wire

Old 06-22-20, 09:20 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help identifying c wire

Hello! I am trying to install a smart thermostat but I am having some trouble identifying the C-wire in my unit. I have four wires at the thermostat and I need to attach the included c-wire adapter to go from four wires to five wires - (I'm sure it's common knowledge, but from R-G-Y-W to R-G-Y-W-C.)

I have a 12 year old Trane unit with no control board (at least not one that I have found). I have traced the wires the best that I could with my limited (non-existent) HVAC knowledge. I TRIED to read the wiring diagram...

I have attached pictures that I hope will help. Please let me know if more pictures are needed, or if you would like to see the diagram.

Thanks for taking a look!
Leslie

This last picture is just a full view of the wiring so you can trace the wires from their connection to the thermostat wires.

Old 06-22-20, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The cable that goes out to the condenser has a blue and yellow in use.
The yellow is the Y signal from the thermostat.
The blue wire is the C wire.

LPsquared voted this post useful.
Old 06-23-20, 06:33 AM
L
Adapter connection

I thought as much! I just needed the confirmation! Thank you so much!

So, I will connect the smaller wires that I have labeled in the picture below to the 4 pins at one end of the adapter and then I will connect the corresponding labeled wires from the opposite end in their place, correct? (G with G, Y with the Y going to condenser, R with Blk, W with the 3 larger white)

Then the wire labeled C on the 5 wire end of the adapter will be attached with the smaller AND larger blue wires already held together with the wire nut (all 3 together)? I'm guessing the resistor stays connected right where it is?

Thanks again for your help!
Leslie

Old 06-23-20, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
That resistor was probably added to help a power stealing thermostat charge better.
You should be able to remove that now.

Old 06-23-20, 06:23 PM
L
Thank you again for replying and for your advice about the resistor!

I'm sorry to continue to bother you, but could you please answer/confirm my other connection questions?

I will connect the smaller wires that I have labeled in the picture below to the 4 pins at one end of the adapter and then I will connect the corresponding labeled wires from the opposite end in their place, correct? (G with G, Y with the Y going to condenser, R with Blk, W with the 3 larger white)
and...

Then the wire labeled C on the 5 wire end of the adapter will be attached with the smaller AND larger blue wires already held together with the wire nut (all 3 together)?
Thank you!
Leslie

Old 06-23-20, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Not exactly sure what converter you are using. I don't use them.
It looks like you have the wiring correct.

LPsquared voted this post useful.
Old 06-23-20, 07:24 PM
L
Thanks again!

You've helped me a great deal! (I will try to remember to post here if the connection was successful for the smart thermostat so others in the same situation can use this as a reference.)

Leslie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: